1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Name Change??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cutman007, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Cutman007

Cutman007 LawnSite Member

I'm buying a 20 year old Lawn Service Co. with 80 residential accounts from a man retiring. I am already in the business under another DBA name. He thinks I should keep his Company name and just change billing address for "smooth transition. I'm thinking of sending a letter to all the customers and just tell them (the truth) I'm buying the Company from Joe and please make payment to (my company) and mail check to my address. I feel it's better to tell it like it is because the customers are going to know anyway. Any advise?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I have to agree you need to keep your name and be up front about the changes with the customers.
  3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with keeping your name ... but I wouldn't send them a letter just telling them where to send payment. I would send them all nice letters explaining that Joe retired, and you are excited about taking care of his established client base, and that you hope to retain their business.

Make them feel welcome right away, and make them feel that they will continue to receive excellent service as they had become to expect from Joe.

Just my .02ยข worth ...

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a 20year established business isn't something you should just "throw away" like that. You should come up with a "merger" or something, let people know about the transition and ween them off slowly. You can file another DBA and keep his company name, most banks will even let you deposit into the same account number if you wish. He has brand recognition and thats always good, even if his work ethic wasn't great (by chance).
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

6. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

i know it's alot of customers, but you should also make a point to meet each one, sorta go out of your way to meet them type of thing...that might help as well..
  7. Cutman007

Thanks to all for taking time to advise. Florida doesn't allow more than one DBA per Corp.
  8. Cutman007

Because of name change going around and meeting the customers is a good suggestion.