Business name help please

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tropicallawn1, Feb 24, 2014.

1. tropicallawn1

tropicallawn1 LawnSite Member

I am in the process of getting back into the business. At first I will be focusing on residential and eventually add some commercial work. I like "Yardsmith" short and to the point, professional. However, for some unexplained reason I like "Lawn Donkey", funny, catchy, endless slogans. Do you guys think having a silly name would effect the way a potential commercial client may view us as a company? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

If I could rename my company it would be called " Pretty Lawns" it's funny and elegant

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not under any circumstance name your company "Lawn Donkey".

4. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

I have to agree with A.W. A silly-ish, catchy name would be fine just not that particular one. However it is funny!

5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree with the other gents on this one...

Lawn Donkey is a no go....

Yardsmith is ok.... You got anything else kicking around?

You said you are getting back into it... What was your previous name?

6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

The subject on "How important is a business name?" was recently discussed on another thread.
    www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=418114

7. tropicallawn1

tropicallawn1 LawnSite Member

I was expecting this response on the Lawn Donkey. I'm just trying to think of something i've never seen and stay away from the stereotypical lawn care name. Years ago I was in business under Tropical lawn care. When i transitioned to all commercial I changed it to Tropical Services of Central Fl , thought it was more professional. Guess i'll have to mow it over some more. Thanks guys

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Psah, You'd have a sillyish name if YOU were hung like a LAwnDonkey!

For Real, I had this competitor back in the Day, Called Yard Apes.
    Pretty derogatory if you ask me… Local guys referred to the companies workers and Chimp Chumps.

He's pretty big and successful now. Has had more than a few industry magazine articles done on him.

http://yardapes.org/category/yardape-news/

Local Company here in AK is called "Lawn Ninjas" and their post card is dudes in black masks hiding behind shrubbery and trees with the catch line "hire us and you'll never even know we were there" and "our competition never saw us coming" (separate cards)

Seriously…they do have customers… although the thought of having a black mask (to me) implies being untrustworthy and robbing your customers… and the tag line "you'll never even know we were there" Implies that we have done nothing and you can't tell….. They have customers and have gotten customers off those stupid post cards….maybe people just like ninjas?

9. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think lawn donkey is a little too silly, and the donkey always evokes the thought of democrats. Yardsmith is better, but I would keep thinking on this.

Silly is ok to a point, but it has to also project your personality.