1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

business name ideas?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kilpatrickshrub&turf, May 31, 2005.

1. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

Am looking for suggestions as to a new business name.
    Kilpatrick ..............? something. cant use landscape or lawnscape as its too close to existing business. kilpatrick turf and shrub has an okay ring to it i guess. whew.. i thought this name thing would be so easy. im not leaving north louisiana so a borrowed element of a name wont be an issue.
    thanks in advance folks, chad
  2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You've got a good solid name, just go with Kilpatrick Lawn & Landscape.
  3. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrick turf and shrub is the leading contender thus far.
    going to be a subsidiary and cant have "lawn", "landscape" or "management" anywhere in it.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

chad, could you be more descriptive with your scenario? is the lawn/land naming too close to your existing business (ie, the parent company of the turf subsidiary) or too close to a competitor? if it's too close to a competitior, could you explain the parent company scenario so we could provide a more educated offering?

5. kilpatrickshrub&turf

KLM is the family business.
    K lawn care is a siblings former business.
    I want my own independently owned biz but ill still be working
    pretty much for KLM. For the most part invoicing KLM for my labor and materials. More professional for clients to make checks out to a biz name than to me directly which an increasing number of them are mine alone. complicated family business politics. this is not causing any problems and there are none now. I simply want my own letter head and down the road something concrete to show the tax man if the time ever comes.
    Amazing how you have to make all this insanely more complicated to prove its all legit.
    Only real diff tween his and mine is while i run his maintenance co, he handles the landscape contracting company which is fine. i prefer high-end maintenance accounts. KLM does design, installation, landscape construction, maintenance and management, irrigation, dirtwork/grading. i help on all of it but the light installs and high end maintenance is what i like to do.

yrs ago i got tired of working for dad, went onthe road in a big truck, when he got cancer and sold the biz, i got the name KLM. like an idiot i stayed on the road a few more yrs, gave the name to my bro who at time had K lawn care.

now that ive been back and building back up the biz its too late to even think of owning the klm name again. its his, let him run with it. we are both well known in local landscaping circles and have a good prof. reputation.

thanks folks...
  6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Kilpatricks Turf Maintenance
  7. kilpatrickshrub&turf

i like it i like it... but i do tons of shrub work also... but i do like it, also see the ease in marketing just my name that way...
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

will even using your last name, and attaching it to something green-related, cause possible confusion with customers? this is where i could see it leading to friction with KLM, so might it be safer to move away from including kilpatick?

just spitballin'...

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>

How about Kilpatrick Property Maintenance?
  10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

There might also be an advantage to using "Chad" instead of Kilpatrick. "Chad's Lawns" "Chad's Turf and Shrub" "Lawns by Chad"

This helps separate your business from your brother's in the minds on existing and new customers.

Is your first name known by your current customers?