1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business name in Ohio

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by snap12.5, Mar 28, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have been trying to get a unique business name for some time now and everytime i think of something creative, i search it on the state website and see that someone else in Ohio has the same name. Frustrating!
    I looked up one company name and it is located in New Bremen, Ohio which is quite a distance away from me. Although the name is taken, there is no indication of what kind of business it is. It does not specify "landscape" or "construction" etc. I have searched the company name on Yahoo and cant find anything. How do i find out the type of business?
    If the company is in excavating, for example, couldnt i still use the name as long as it is a different business? Thanks
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

If that name is already registered, I am fairly certain you cannot use the same name even if the type of business is different.
  3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

line of business does not matter, but you might be able to get it through if you make it "uniquely different".

and you don't wanna PO those New Bremen folks... :), they're nice, small-town people.
  4. snap12.5

from Ohio

thanks for the replies. keep them coming.

tony - when u say "uniquely different" will this work
    for example:
    JohnScape Landscaping -> John-Scape or John-Scape Lawn andLandscape
  5. tonygreek

hypens are not differentiators, nor are "the" or "a", "and", or "inc." or "company", among others.
  6. tonygreek

i just re-read your post, and have a bit different take on what you wrote. the odds are in your favor that if you file for "sunshine landscaping", that would be different than an existing "sunchine excavating". initially, i was thinking you meant if your name was "sunshine, inc." and you do landscaping, is that different from a company named "sunshine, inc." that does excavating.

and yahoo is not what you want to use. you want:

per the ohios SOS, "johnscape" is not used in any form.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

if you work in your name into the business name somehow the state can not deny you that name... however they can not deny anyone else with that name as well. For instance, Bob's Premium Lawncare can go to anyone named Bob as i understand it.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

how about Emergency Lawn Care
  9. snap12.5

from Ohio

thanks for the replies guys
    tony - i only used yahoo to find out what this company does but i use the state website to search out name availability. thanks for the link though. "johnscape" i was just using as an example in my post.

the name i actually wanted is GroundScape but it is taken so i will continue to search on. i am thinking of other names with "scape" in it.
  10. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

If you go to the states web site, do your name search and when your results come up, under the "business filing info" click on the "click for details" link you can look at their initial filing papers and see what type of business they do in the state. Then you can tell if they are a competitor or even in a similar type of business. If the two of you are in unrelated fields, you can find a slight variation that might suit your needs.