Business Name Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a simple name that is easy to remember. "Green Care" is my business name. I have magnets, cards, and uniforms made. Next year I plan to get insurance and a business licsense since I am now 16 and I have a truck trailer etc. and I will be turning my mowing into an official business. My concern is about my name. What if another LCO already uses my name? How does this work?

Thanks... :)

2. environment

environment LawnSite Member

i think you are already heading in the wrong direction, almost the same one i did, and it was a screwup, only i had the name purchased so i dont worry about anyone having my name, that was the first thing i did

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Once you register with your state they will tell you if the name is available.

4. environment

judging from your name i am guessing that name is taken

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, Husky. Your name is already in use by Green Care, LLC as an Indiana foreign registration from Louisville, KY.

Here's a link to the Indy Secretary of State (oversees your state's business services). Check out the entrepreneur resources and the business names search.

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/corporations.html

Good luck!

Tony,
    Dayton, Ohio

6. Husky03

:realmad: What if I was to change my name to "Green Care Lawn Service" instead of just "Green Care?" Could I get around it this way?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not since it is too similar...you'll definately know in a couple of weeks (or less) when you get a letter from their attorneys to cease using that name. Been there, done that, 11 years ago.

8. Husky03

This makes me mad. It is my own fault, but I did not know who to contact about choosing a name. I will try calling some of the numbers on that site tomorow and find out what I can do.

9. Husky03

I just found this and I think this applies to me. This is pasted directly from the site. If I understand correctly I should not have to register my name or anything else??? ;) :help:

Informal Associations:

The following informal business associations require no filing with the Indiana Secretary of State:

Sole Proprietorship: One person who conducts business for profit. The sole owner assumes complete responsibility for all liabilities and debts of the business.
    TAX: The income of the business is reported as part of the owner's personal income.

10. environment

if you use someone else's name, and you get cought, which many have, you are royaly screwed, and in big trouble