Business Name

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jcs Lawn and Landscape, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

what do you have to do to get ur business named registered and how much does it cost

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Be at least 3 years older than you presently are as a 15 year old can't own a business or have a business license. Only other way it to get your parents to do it in their name however I suspect that you are only cutting a few lawns in your neighborhood for pocket money so do you really need one as a kid? If you were over 18 and really in business of course you would, but at 15 you are not even close to being a business or being in a business. Just cut it as a kid no one will object cause of your young age.

3. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

i have 18 lawns and make over 600 a week right now so i guess im not really doing this for pocket change

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Great then don't forget to pay your Federal (and State if you have them) income taxes cause even at your age you have to pay them and file if you making $600 a week (but it's still not much money kid, I mean I know it seems like a ton to you at 15 but it certainly is not enough to get mom or dad to file a business for, esp since it is seasonal only for you and that is Gross before your expenses, so in the real word after expenses and taxes you getting about $200-$300)

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi Jcs Lawn and Landscape,

Check out this site.

Let me know if that helps.

6. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

thank you very much that did help me for in the future when i plan to get my business name registered thank you very much

7. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Hey kid when you are ready, do searches at the Secretary of State online site for you state. Check to see if you name is already being used, it is called a name availability search. If any name is even close or is the same you can’t use it.

Then to register your name you go to your local recorder office and tell them you want to record your business name.

This has nothing to do with incorporations or any thing like it. You are just registering your business in the community you want to work in.

The form only asks for your address and one for the business, which may be both in the same, your name and your business name and the date. Then you have to get it notarized. Also there is a recording fee of probably $5.00 - $15.00. Congrats, that is it.

You know there are a lot of underage people who are millionaires who own their own business. For instance Mary Kate and Ashley are co-Presidents of their movie, clothing and book etc. empire, and have been since they were little girls.

Also if you even think you are going to want to be a corporation, then you will have to redo your tax forms and banking accounts, well every thing that you are doing now will have to shut down and then be reestablished under the new incorporated business name.

Don’t you wish more people would just give you the skinny? I thought this was suppose to be a helpful industry oriented site. It seams there is a lot of unprofessional behavior here.

Don’t learn from these unethical people here to have a bad attitude with your customers and to think of them as pains in the a$$. Remember that no matter where you are, the customer is your boss and they are the one making out the check. Remember to treat them as you would want to be treated if you were the one receiving the service.

I hear others here talk about how much they hate certain customers. Then they talk about how bad their dealer was to them when they needed service. You know what the dealer treats them as the treat their customers. I guess they never get the point. They don’t like bad service from their venders but a lot of the people here give bad customer service out.

Beware and remember customer service is the most important thing if you want to be successful, that includes your finish quality.

8. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

thank you so much for this post it enlightened me about what i can do in the future i really appreciate your advise thanks again