1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Name

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jake65, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if I had the same name as another company within the same state would it be legal? I know from our county office, she stated if I have a DBA the limitation is restricted to just the county, but the next county over a business could have the same name. (Not that I would want to do that). The other is, if I was incorporated, how does this work within the same state and within the country.

Jake :confused:
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Yes and No.

The way I undertstand it ( :dizzy: ), in Jersey, no one can stop you from using your personal name as a business name. If there is someone else with the same personal name, so be it. However, unique names (provided they are registered) cannot be duplicated. (i.e. Grass Landscaping, We Do it Right Landscaping, Etc.)
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi jake65,

Each state may be different. Go to your local county court house and ask the person in charge of registering business names if it is ok.

As far as I know it is ok, but it doesn't hurt to further investigate it.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>