Business Name

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FS Lawn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I trying to think of a business name and have decided to use my name and lawn servise. What is your openion of using you name as the business name and what do you use the first only or the first and last name ?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is certainly particular and personable to use your name, but I must say, and please don't take this the wrong way, because it is not meant in any bad way, but Frank Smith Lawn Service sounds a little bland. If it is a more general term, like say for instance, Frank Smith Construction, or Frank Smith Contracting, I can see it. Now, you MAY want to try Frank Smith Lanscape Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance, or Landscape Management, but the lawn service thing, like I say, just sounds a little too generic. It kind of reminds me "Joe's Lawn Care" or something. Do you see what I mean?

3. I use first and last name

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest lawncare franchise in the Southern Hemisphere is "Jims Mowing".Thats pretty generic,but works real well.I reckon the best test of a name is how easy it for someone to remember while they write your check out.If they got to keep coming out asking you how to spell maintenance or writing Joes Lawns intead of Joes Landscape Management you need to revise your business name.I like real short and memorable,whats wrong with Franks Lawns?.

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mine figured out right now its PROMO when i get a little older i will change it to SLOMO then when I die it will be called NOMO

6. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

Runner , I agree with you the name " Frank Smith" is about as blan as you can get but that's me . I like the other things you mentioned (landscape management ect ) I do mostly grass cutting trimming ect and do not handle "landscaping , install ect " so would these titles apply to what I do ?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, the landscape end of it fits into the program. Our old name was Joseph Landscaping & Grounds Maintenance, but let's face it, that was a whole mouthful to say, and even more to have to write on a check. Keeping it short and sweet has always worked well for any business. One nice thing about my original name, is that people always knew who I was, and they knew what to call me. Everyone in the area knows me by my first name of Joe. The Ground Control was a bit more catchier, I felt, and is a bit more simple to write on checks.:) One nice thing about using your name in the biz, is that if you want that particular check to just be cashed, to you, well, you are able to.;)

Promo, what you said is hilarious!!:D

8. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

Runner
    Thanks for the advise ! I am still in a delima about what to put on the end of my name ( grounds maint , landscape maint ) I think the name is the most important thing of all , i just don't want to give the wrong impression that i do landscaping.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Hey cousin Frank!

Don't be thinking about stealing my business name! ;)

[​IMG]

I guess it's rather obvious what "SLS" stands for, huh?

Simple names work good. Good luck deciding, cousin...and come see us sometime. We'll take in the Grand Ol' Opry or something. :D

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member