Business Names

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BearWise Landscapers, Apr 6, 2010.

1. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I like that point. I can see how some broad names will help more and can even see how some specialized names are better. I think it depends on your business plan.

Does anybody have an example of a specialized name that was effective?

Any other examples of broad names that allow for growth and the addition of other services?

Thanks for the feedback!
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

My company is Hickory Leaf Landscape, LLC.

I chose Hickory Leaf because I used to go squirrel hunting a lot when I was younger, and boy to squirrels love shagbark hickory trees. I decided on landscape because I don't like how "landscaping" sounds...and everybody else uses that in their name. Just wanted to be different.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Been working with a business partner of mine for a number of years with the name "The Lawn Guy." Never liked it, thought it sounded fly-by-nightish. Nevertheless, we still use that name some so far as customers who have been with us for years still send us referrals and people call asking for "The Lawn Guy", but primarily I push my company name KEMCO Lawn Services. First three letters are my daughters initials + "CO" as in company. Thought it had a nice ring to it. I have found that there are a few KEMCO named companies though, including a lawn service guy but he is in another state quite a long way from me (and his is not KEMCO Lawn Services).
  4. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I came across this company the other day called Yard Apes. What do you think of that name?

Also, check out the news video in that link. They received free publicity from being active in GreenCare for Troops.
  5. Gator Landscaping

Gator Landscaping LawnSite Member

I chose Gator Landscaping because I'm a big fan of the University of Florida and I went to school there. It is easy to brand.
  6. GreenwithEnvyLawn

GreenwithEnvyLawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I started out as Simpson's Pest Control & Lawn Maintenance and ran with that name for 2 years but then decided I didn't want my name in it. So I changed it to my current name. I thought it was pretty catchy and hadn't seen it being used near me.
  7. horsequick

horsequick LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. horsequick

horsequick LawnSite Member

Mine is "The Undercutter". I chose that name because....well I undercut the competition and I cut aka mow grass. LOL...jk
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I look at it this way. It's a business, and the name first and foremost should imply what services are offered.

I went with White Lawn and Garden Services. My last name is White, and my signed trailer sits in my driveway next to a perfect front lawn. That actually gets me new customers. I no longer advertise at all. I am a solo, and have room for maybe two more customers now in my third year. I'm maxed out and doing very well.

Keep it simple. Be the best. Chose a name that implies what you do, and how you do it. my slogan is "No one does it better". That is on the trailer. It's fact.

I put my name behind my work. People see results, and come to me now. I'm a straightforward no gimmicks guy, but other appraoches work too.
  10. AlyKat Prop

AlyKat Prop LawnSite Member

I used to be Gator's Aerators - however that limited me. So this year I switched to AlyKat Property Service LLC. I also have AlyKat Aeration.

That way I can leave my options open with other property services. I have worked in commerical cleaning on an off for many years.

The name is from my two daughters.

No one else has the name in the business of lawns.