1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Network Int'l.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1grnlwn, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Went to my first meeting today. It is a collection of local business persons, who get together once a week to trade references and explain what types of customers they need. Cost roughly $300 a year and requires attendance every week. Only one professional per category is allowed in group. I would be landscape/ LCO guy. Looks like a worthwile proposition. Anybody have experience here? Everyone in the group has a organizer with 8 or so of everyones bus cards with them. Considering what YP adds cost and the poor quality of leads they generate, I thought this may be a good Idea.

2. 1grnlwn

So I will be the first one to try this, Cool.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I was going to ask a few stupid questions, but I went to the website and found the faq and answered my own questions.

I do like the idea a lot. I went to our region, found a group, but it is not exactly near us. At least I don't consider it local. It's like 40 miles away. I just don't find it likely that we would get referrals in the actual area we serviced.

How local is your group? Are you travelling far? And how many in your group? I read where a typical group is around 20 to 25, but can get up to 45.

I too am interested in hearing anyone that has joined one of these groups.
  4. 1grnlwn

Well I am about 15 miles from the city. Work there about 3 days a week. We will meet in the city and it happens to be on one of our mowing days. I would say there are about 22 in this group. They are in a membership drive currently. They seem like a fun group. Can't wait for my wed meeting. Going to take some pics.

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in BNI for one year now. At first it was great, I was getting like 5 referrals/week, on average 40% sucked but that's OK. For one, I live in a city of 280,000 and there's 6 groups and each is of course completly different in the kind of people, meaning there are good and bad chapters. So looking around before deciding on which one to go with is a good idea, however, I didn't do this but I feel lucky one year later. What has happened is that I now get about 1 good referral /month. As far as membership drive goew, that is an ongoing issue. New members somtimes stay and on average 50% make it the first year or less so turnover is high and I just sit back while a new member is there and see if they last. Also, the people that are attracted to this kind of thing are new to their field and looking for options so job turnover is high as well. As far as first year #'s, I received a little over 10K in sales from it and alot of this is reoccuring in maintenance, so it has been good overall, but the key is that you need to get referrals for others. It can be hard since alot of our time is spent working, not selling like others. If you'd like more info, email me.
  6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never joined, but my insurance man is trying to get me to go. I was also told that attendance is mandatory, I don't know if I can make it every week. This year I am joining the local Chamber of Commerce. I have some friends that belong to the Chamber and they have gotten work this way.