Business Opinion: To Charge Or Not...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vincent c. gomeyac, Nov 20, 2005.

1. vincent c. gomeyac

vincent c. gomeyac LawnSite Member

Greetings fr. La Fayette,GA.
    Here's my situation;
    Daughter of elderly client left a mssg. on ans. mach. crying, stating that her
    Dad had a massive stroke & medically brain dead & was given 24 to 48 hrs. to
    live. I was asked to clean-up her dad's yard ASAP!, probably last mow for the
    season, clean-up,vacuum collction & curb side disposal of leaves.
    As a business person, what is the right thing to do?
    Keep in mind ,this is under $200.00 worth job.
    My predicament is, I'm a sympathetic & compassionate person , with this
    situation I'm considering NOT TO CHARGE them for my srvcs.
    Your insights & inputs will be highly appreciated.
    WHAT'S YOURS'?
    tnx, VINZ

2. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I had really good client that passed away this summer. I continued to mow every two week's for the rest of the summer when i did the house on either side also client's of mine and never billed anyone.I did this 4 time's total 120.00 last week i got a check for 120.00 and a card with a 50.00 dollar bill in it. If you dont charge they will probaly make it right but they might not.
    I did but that's just the type of person I am id like to think someone would do the same for me. probaly not but it's a good thought.I'LL PROBALY CATCH HE%% FOR THIS POST. A good business man wouldnt a good person probaly would.sometime's you gotta be a bad person to be a good business man (used car sale'sman). sometime's you gotta be a bad business man and be a good person.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Only you can answer this one.
    Were these people long time good customers? Are they hurting for money?

Sometimes it's hard to keep business separate from your personal feelings.
    Cause I believe deep down most people like to help one another out.
    It's really a tough call, and you should make the one where you'll be able to sleep easy at night.
    If it were us, we would charge for the final cleanup.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Seems kind of odd that the daughter would be worried about the lawn in this situation. I think if it were me, I most definitely would NOT be thinking about my dad's lawn.

A good compromise, charge them full price, then send flowers to the family.

5. METRO 36

maybe you could send flower's and leave the bill with a note saying you realize this is a hard time pay when you can after all she did ask you to do it.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

dont forget the fruit basket, too

7. METRO 36

and a shovel if it get's rough

8. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

...an invoice for services rendered. Surely the hospital, funeral home, mortician etc. though dripping with sympathy will somehow manage to bill the family for their services.

I am not trying to be flippant, but if you choose to bill them, be assured there is nothing morally corrupt about it.

James

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Vinnie, welcome to LS. If it were me I wouldn't have the heart to leave them a bill at a time like that. I know that a lot of people will say that no other store or service provider would give them a break on anything but I'm not that cold hearted. How long would it take you to do the clean-up? 2 hrs? I would not be able to sleep at night.

If you want to look at it from a business point of view you can always consider the fact that they will probably tell their friends and family that you didn't charge them anything in their time of need.

I would leave them a bill with what you would charge them under regular conditions and then put a line through the total with No Charge written out and they will probably pay you for it anyway.

But that's just me.

10. vincent c. gomeyac

vincent c. gomeyac LawnSite Member

maj.Tom,
    3 mos.old client BUT, good. Got $ but tightwad, anyway, I apprct. ur. rspns.
    Hoolie;
    Daughter & dad live close together both houses on an acre lot.Good bonded dad & daughter relationship has no boundaries, even "being concerned w/ her dad's yard" is not an odd attitude. Thnx. 4 ur response
    metro 36; I will consider ur sug. thank you.
    Brianslawn;
    Can you list some kinds of fruits to go to that basket? Also, will I personally
    deliver it or let Wal-mart do it, what do you think? My sincere TY.
    Metro36;
    Will I bring post hole digger, rake, pick mattock, breaking bar, wheel barrow too? BTW, what type of shovel do you suggest, pointed or flat end? thnx.
    If we haven't experienced loss we'll never know when it "gets rough" thnx.