Business or Job?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dman1214, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

If you do considerable frontline work in your company, do you think you have a business or a job? Please respond with back-up.
  2. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

If you take work direction and pay from someone else, you have a job.

If you pursue opportunities, close sales, schedule jobs, supervise jobs, invoice clients, collect and pay bills, make hire and fire decisions, handle legal matters and insurance, deal with employee issues, purchase supplies and equipment etc., it sure sounds like a business to me.

So, from my perspective, it doesn't really matter who does the work.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting that you ask this. A while back I asked a question about what happens when someone, a sole proprietor, has an emergency and needs to get away from the business. Someone responded that a one-man operation is not a business, but a job. I'm not sure I agree with that. I feel as if I have a job and a business.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Everybody works for someone else. Wether you are a lawn mowing company owner who works for the customers or the president of the U.S.A. who works for the citizens, and everyone inbetween.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Dman1214,

There is a book called The E-Myth that addresses this. It discusses how entrepreneurs should take their business from the state of owning a job to owning a business. If you have some time, it is a good read.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ill awnser that, but you have to follow NASCAR to follow this. In 1992 Alan Kulwicki won the Winston Cup. In 93 he was killed in a plane crash. He owned his own race team, and had plans in place if he died. He wanted Jimmy Hensley to drive the car till the team was sold, but the sponcer Hooters wanted Loy Allen to drive. It ended up with Hooters pulling the sponcership, and the team in trouble until Geoff Bodine bought it. So did Kulwicki have a job or a business? A business, just that he was a very big irreplacable part of it.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would hope I have a business. I don't like the "idea" of having a job!