business phone, or home phone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 15, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

For 6 years now, i've been working out of my home, using my home phone for everything, business and personal. I'm getting fed up recently, cuz as i get bigger, the phone doesn't stop ringing. Eating dinner with my family,watching tv, bar be queing.. I love that business is is busy this season, but when you come home, you want to get away from it for alittle while, atleast.

anyone else use there home phone for business? I'm considering getting another phone for home, but that goes against my low overhead views. somehow, some customers got my cell #, i must've called them while i was working or something, and they picked it up on there caller ID........ even out of state, i'm responding to things.

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the first year of business,mainly the reason your having.phone always would ring and always was work related.so now we have seperate line plus cell phone for business also e-mail address..

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a cell phone for business so I can take calls while in the field.

The last thing I want is my home phone ringing Sunday night when my wife and I are trying to have one last shot at relaxation before the week begins. Costs me about $50 a month and worth every penny.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Fga,
    I thought you were a small operation? Why do you not get your self a cell phone? Every person you sign put them into your phone. When anyone calls your phone answer it as "Thank you for calling Trevors Lawn Care....This is Trevor, how can I help you today." If business is going to be the only reason you get a cell phone it would only be like $30 bucks a month. Go with the sprint fair 'n flexible plan. I only use my cell phone and any unrecognized number i answer accordingly.

Trevor

5. cell phone ..you can take it with you every where ...set up voice mail ..

6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

business line at home and cell phone for the road. My customers get both numbers.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have a seperate business line. It runs into my office, which is just a spare bedroom in my home. When the door's closed, I can't hear it ring, so it's fine with me if it rings on a Sunday morning or at night. It's turned down low, so I don't hear it at all (unless I'm in there). The machine gets it, and I return calls the next business day.

If I'm actively advertising, like an ad running or flyers being distributed, I set the business phone to forward to my cell phone so I can make sure to get all the calls.

Not sure if it's available everywhere, but you might be able to get a seperate phone number (not a seperate phone line), that has a distinctive ring so you can tell whether it's the home number or the business number ringing. You'll still have to deal with the phone ringing, but you'll know whether it's your friend calling, or something business related. It's cheaper then a whole seperate phone line. I used this for my first year. Just an option to consider.

8. i dropped all my landlines ..i only have cell phone's ..biz personal .

9. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have a cell for 1 1/2 now. i was using that strictly for personal (wife was pregnant). now I'm getting it everywhere. I am a small operation, (80 accounts) but i'd rather have the cell for personal, so i can be in touch when i'mon the road. If i used the cell for biz, I'd wind up throwing it inmy truck at night so i wouldn't have to hear it til morning:rolleyes: