1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business phone price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greg313, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

When I helping my step-dad Sunday and we were talking about me setting up my business and I told him in a couple weeks I'm going to register my name and get a tax id#. He said be careful when I get the tax# that my utlities (phone, electric, etc.) at home will be double or triple in price because of it being a business. Now at first I'm going to have to run things out of the home until I can get a place of business.
    If I register my name and tax id# using a P.O. Box will the price of utilities and such go up? Also, how about a cell phone # for the business instead of a land line? I'm trying to get everything legit before I start and was just wondering how to go about things like this.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont tell them its for a business and they will never know!
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

That's right. If you are a sole pro. then say you are using it for yourself.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

No it won't affect your utility rates. Now a dedicated business line (landline) is priced differently than a regular personal phone line. But as for everything else, no, it won't change.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Operate on a mobile phone.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

People will agree/disagree, but I run my business through my cell phone and don't have a landline in my home for my business. And there is nothing wrong with running your business (office) out of your home. In fact, there are many tax advantages to it. You can deduct utilility bills and the like. But be carefull there are rules that you must meet in order to qualify and when selling your home you may owe the gov't some money...check with accountant or go get a tax book it will explain it in detail.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i would never treat somebody seriously who's business phone is a cell. in this line or any other. i wont say i dont have and use a cell but i have a dedicated land line in the business name. to me a landline says you plan on doing this for the long haul a cell phone says you are not sure if this is for you and you dont want to get committed in case it does not work out
  8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to call you out but that is a load if I have ever read one. Many businesses operate via cell phones. We are a service oriented industry and therefore we are running all over the place. I think it is more professional to answer a call then to have a message running on a dedicated land line with no one there to answer.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I used to think along these lines somewhat, but after 4 years in biz I'm dropping the landline and just going with the cell. The biz line served essentially as an answering machine...then I'd call the voice mail FROM MY CELL PHONE. Finally I decided, "why do I need this business line?" I mean I don't enjoy throwing money away...

Really, for a small operation where the owner is out in the field, the need for a landline is questionable. When you're that small you just don't generate enough calls on a daily basis to justify paying someone to answer it.

Just my opinion.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Every lco here mostly operates on a mobile, the old saying goes crawl before you walk, i hate voicemail.