Business Phone

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ztrguy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

What does everyone use for a business phone?

1. Landline Phone
    2. Cell Phone
    3. Landline & Cell Phone

I use the Landline Phone only. Here are my thoughts. I'm out in the field most of the day. I get in and check to see if there are any messages. If there are I call them back. Sometimes phone calls can pile up and that's the last thing I want to do when I get home from workin all day long. Should I choose the Cell Phone only option? If I choose Cell Phone only I will be able to return calls between jobs that way they won't pile up. Also, I was thinking I have a better chance of catching the customer while it's fresh on their mind. Many people will just call another LCO if one doesn't get back pretty soon. What are you guys take on this?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

biz phone is a land line with a answering machine always on and working
    cell phones get crappy reception and people hate drooped calls makes u look unprofessional 2 some people but i will call them back on it if i have no choice
    i will not give out my cell phone # because the people will call that and if i don't get back Wright away they think u are ignoring them

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Land & Cell. Primarily use the landline, but it has my cell on it for emergencies. :cool:

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Landline with an answering machine. I check with my cell phone for messages during the day, usually at lunch, but I don't want the cell phone to interrupt my work.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I strickly just use a cell phone all the time. I always have it with me no matter what and if I am on a job site working and can't answer it they can leave me a voicemail. I am able to answer the phone a lot of the time because I am getting away from the work aspect of the business as much as possible and am concentrating on the selling part while my employees are doing the work!

6. Mustang

Mustang LawnSite Member

Landline. Cell phone may work for the smaller company but it will get out of hand as you grow. If you work in the field how can you stop, take the call, write down whatever you need to write down, hear with the machines going in the background, answers questions about a particular line item on their bill, etc. This will also mess up your times for your jobs. Keep adminstrative time separate from production times. Also, unless you have two cell phones or turn it off after work do you want customers calling you nights and weekends? I would suggest you get a private number for your cell either way so customers cannot call you whenever they want. I had a customer get my cell number off his caller id. Saved it. Called me at 8:00 pm on a Saturday night during dinner. I was NOT a happy camper. :realmad:

7. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Decisions....Decisions...

I can easily see everyone's choice on this subject. I'm seriously considering in '04 just using a Cell Phone and see how it works out. If I ever get big time with a couple of crews I'll definately have the Landline Phone too, but for now I think the Cell Phone would work just fine. Keep those replies coming!

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I have two things on my home phone that you might want to consider. One is call forwarding. I usually let my answering machine get calls at home but if I am expecting a call I don't want to miss I forward the land line to the cell. I do that when I am on the internet as well. The second is distinctive ring on the home phone. That way when I get a business call I I know to answer with my company name.
    I put my cell and land line with the distinctive ring on my card. My feelings about getting calls at odd hours are a little different than most of what I see posted here. Personally I don't care if some one calls me at 3 am. I went into business for myself to make money and If some one wants to call me about a work related topic I'M all ears.
    If some one gets to be a pita about it I'M not bashfully I'LL just tell them to knock it off. No problem. :)

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have business phone and forward to Nextel cell phone all incoming calls are free. This is why someone calling to get price and no one there they will call next LCO in the phone book.

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I use a land phone with an answering machine always on.
    I also have a cell phone with voice messaging. My customers know that if its something they need to talk with me about urgently to call my cell and leave a message.
    I usually check them in between jobs. And return any calls that require immediate attention.