Business plan, calling veteran of task

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by robert payer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

What mistakes did you make on your first official Business Plan?

Any advise of any kind is welcome on this one.

Would 25% growth per year be over ambitious?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year to this year for me, 100% growth. I'm quite happy. I learned alot my first year and tried to really apply it this season. I don't think I'll see that growth next season but hope to fine tune the profits. Although I'm continually putting everything I can afford heavily back into the company. You're on the right track though, gotta have goals or you'll never get anywhere.

3. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Randy, thank you for your response. Did you write a plan or is it some thing to tackle this Winter?

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not per say a plan I would introduce to a lending institution. I ran the basic outline in an informal fashion and have tried to stick to it. It's easy to stray away at times and this winter I want to do some "retuning" so to speak. Like they say, a business plan is always changing and adapting to and for the current conditions. It was tough the first season because I started my business cold-turkey, in the blind so to speak. I had no prior experience in this field whatsoever, (bodyman and painter for 13 years) just decided one day this is what I wanted to do. I've never ONCE looked back or doubted my decision or ability to make this new adventure work. It's like a new fire burning inside me like I had when I was younger. The last two years have been better than the first 13 ever were working for someone, much less a different profession. I enjoyed some things with the car industry, did alot of race car painting that got me noticed, but it wasn't enough. Burned out eventually I guess.

Stick to your plan and make changes if necessary. Don't get discouraged, somedays are nerveracking but hopefully it all pans out. Good luck with it.:)

5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought "Business Plans for Dummies". It's a good book and explains a business plan easily to the beginner. I'm in the process of writing mine now.

6. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I would agree with everything Randy Scott said in his second post.

I dont think 25% growth is overly ambitious at all for a new company. Ive had growth from my first year to second year of about 250% (in sales). This upcomming season Im am shooting for 100% growth.

Just speaking from experience, I feel that once your in say the 150k - 250 k (maybe even higher) sales area thats when you would be just shooting for 25% growth each year.

I look at my business plan periodicaly through out the year just to keep me on track, and have found that i have hit all of my expectations so far.

Cheers to everyone thats writing a business plan, I think in the long run it will really help you out.