business plan/guide?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by n2h20, Sep 13, 2005.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

IS there any business plans guidelines to follow or a templet of some sort. I am going to be relocating in a month or so and starting a new business, I have run my own business for 6 years now with no real plan, just work, get paid, pay bills.
    I want to have a guideline or goal to follow. I will be working 30-50 hours at another job with a steady pay check this time, so i will have money in the bank and not have to worry about making my own money right off the bat
    This time i want to go big. I was my only employee last time and just couldnt do all the things i wanted or had the opportunity to do. ALot of work and not enough time.

What are some of the things I should focus on? Goals?

I will be a pond business rather than a lawn care business but am will also market landscape installation, renovation, driveways, patios, walls, etc.

thank you,
    To get an idea of what i did or do now www.crescentacanadaponds.com

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Goals? I'd venture to say that for any small business, the goals revolve around fiscal freedom, in other words, to make and more importantly, keep, enough money to cut a few of the daily chains to your business at some point while providing for your and your employees families. Being able to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves as you make your way along your business life. Never ending learning to keep things fresh for you. Those are just a few things that you may want to consider as goals. Fiscally, those goals begin with knowing your true costs in a worst case scenario,planning a profit margin, even in those situations, tracking costs after a job is finished to see how your estimate compared and always looking for greater efficiencies, both with labor and equipment. Take on as little debt for regular operations as possible so that when a real opportunity presents itself, you are not tapped out. If accounting is not your strong suit, resolve to find someone for whom it is, that can break things down to a point that makes sense to you so that you can make proper decisions. Businesses are fluid and things will certainly change for you as you go along with possible cusomter types or even the scope of services/products you offer, however, a written plan, made by you, is always the best place to start. That forces you to sell yourself on exactly how your business is going to work and gives you the chance to see holes. Revisit and update your plan periodically, never fear the size of any job that is with in your skill levels and remember that no one ever plans to fail, they fail to plan.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi n2h20,

Here is a collection of 10 different lawn care company business plans you can review. I hope they help you.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates.Make your own logo Free.</center>

4. n2h20

Thank you. anyone have any suggestions?

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

www.landcarenetwork.org has a section of the CLP study guides called strategic planning. it walks you through most things. We cant give you the goals however. They must be yours.

7. n2h20

i bought a book from Entrepreneur Magazine.. SO far so good. Alot of good ideas but i will check out the ones mentioned.
    Thanks.

8. n2h20

hey gopher... or any one else.
    What do you have to say about legalities when selling a service business?
    Should there be a written contract? Can i just cash the check and hand over the customer list?

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

The days of handshake transactions are pretty much dead. As one who has bought and sold, I'd say a very lengthy contract laying out in every thinkable detail of what is involved, what is included, what is not included, where liability for past and future events fall, tax, workers comp and other insurance issues, a non compete/retention clause, open accounts, accounts payable and receivable and on and on. That being said, you can liquidate a business in pieces, like selling off your customer list, but that is not selling a stand alone business, so therefore worth considerably less. I know, no one likes the idea of dealing with attorneys for this sort of thing, but unless you'd like the possibility of dealing with them on a much less friendly basis in the future, I think I'd use one.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Go down to your local bookstore...B&N, Borders, etc. They have PLENTY of books to choose from with templates/blank documents.