Business plan help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinjoe, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

I am currently working on my business plan. I plan on advertising year round property maintenance for 12 equal monthly payments. No one in my area offers such a service. There are only two legit companies here. Both only do lawn maintenance and leaves, no snow. My town is becoming a retirement area. I plan on using these factors into building a profitable company. The business plan is for my own use more then anything. I don't plan on going to the bank for money but I'd like to get some opinions on it from a few people I trust so I want it to sound good. I am stuck on a few spots. Any suggestions?

Industry Overview - Key Industry Trends

The only thing that is constant in business is change. What are the key trends in your industry? These trends could include changes in technology, products, markets, regulations, or economic conditions. What trends will affect the supply of, or demand for, your products/services? Highlight the factors and trends that could have the largest impact on your business.

I was thinking that the aging boomer and more disposable income would be key points. anything else? Is there a reliable source that I can quote to enforce the idea that lawn care is becoming more popular?

Industry Overview - Purchase Process and Buying Criteria

It is important to know how and why customers purchase products like yours. For example, how important are price, quality, warranties and/or service support important in customer buying decisions? Briefly discuss how the purchase process and buying criteria may vary by each of the market segments or product segments.

Customers purchase property maintenance because they are.....lazy? I will be offering services such as sod, seed, bulk mulch and lawn care. Do these different customers have different purchase process. For example for the lawn care I'll be using a ranger/s-10 type truck. It will be lettered and in nice shape. The truck I will be delivering the mulch in is a old dodge with a dump box. I believe that customers that want "property maintenance" want a nice looking company doing their work. Is it the same for one time customers. In time the old dodge will be replaced but for now it'll get the work done. Would the mention of uniforms be helpful here?

Thanks for any input

2. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

hey cuttinjoe, I just started a thread today about putting together a business plan and what the format is. Might wanna check it out and see if your plan is missing anything mentioned in the outline.

As far as your questions..... Industry Trend? you need to find actual support to show if it is on the incline? Decline? Oversaturated? Peeked? Or downfall. I can tell you now, anywhere in the US, it is on the incline. Information you can google search for that would prove your case? Disposable income for many US homwowners has increased by 42% over the past 5 years. The Older population of homeowners (people over 62) is nearly doubled in the past 10 years. Check out www.melissadata.com
    buying patterns- I would take out lazy, and infact show how many households across the US require a husband and wife workforce to support their custom level of living and just dont have the time! Also, check out HUD.gov and see that homeownership (which equates to PRIDE) has risen 12% in the last 3 years! that means people are spending more to maintain and make there property look the best! Therefore, you and your compnay need to look the best as well..... Uniforms, paint the truck, whatever you need to do will only benefit you in the long run! Yes, do what you can afford, but image is everything and you may only ever have one chance to get that customer, so give everyone out there your "A" game your current customers and future customers will remember if you looked like a slob in a beat up oil drippin dodge or if you showed up professionally, timely, and appropriately dressed. if anyone tells you this doesnt matter, then just smile and think soon..... you'll have all his clients too! I am also VERY impressed at the fact you are taking the time to do a business plan even without the need of funding, its the smartest move you can make right now and I wish you a ton of success in 07!