Business Plan: Mow n blow or full service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mojob, Oct 7, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I've been a full service kind of guy up to this point, but I'm wondering if this is the most profitable way to go. I have a mixed bag of accounts ranging from 5 acre commercial to postage stamp size residential. Some accounts literally take me all of ten minutes to do. I'm a solo act and could probably knock out about 15 of these small yards per day. This would be about 60-75 accounts depending on whether I worked four or five days a week. This would also open the door to off-season work such as sprinkler blowouts and snow removal. I find myself getting bogged down with time consuming projects when I could be doing the mow n blow thing. I was hoping you guys out there that have tried both ways of doing business could give me some insight.

2. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. Its that old issue of providing Quality vs Quantity. The year around full service accounts is what keeps you going and you provide top notch quality not to lose them. Problem is that takes alot of time. I have often thought of doing all the full service accounts myself and have a two man crew do all the weekly and bi weekly mow and blows.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want it, just learn to say NO to the extra work.

4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm afraid of losing the customer to a full service company. That's my question to you. Should I let this extra work go and risk losing the customer and put all my efforts into the mow n blow side of this industry or stay the course and continue offering full service lawn and landscape services?

5. MANICURED LAWNS

MANICURED LAWNS LawnSite Member

If the small jobs take you all of 10 mins to do then why would you only do 15 a day do 20-25 a day an work 3 days a week and use your other days to do the odd jobs for ppl.