Business plan - received cash?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JFGauvreau, Dec 9, 2009.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there, i'm currently writing my business plan which is very long to do but I know I have to do it. They say you can get like 3k in cash or loans up to 15k , depending how well prepared is your business plan.

Was just wondering what was your experience with loans or cash from a business plan, and also how long did it took you to do your business plan, rough estimate, and how many pages?

2. Greenleaf Lawns

Greenleaf Lawns LawnSite Member

3k in cash from who???

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about an SBA loan?

4. JFGauvreau

Well I live in Ontario/Canada so it might be difference but there is a way you can get 3k in cash by financial institute, depending if your business plan is very good, otherwise they lend you 3-15k.

5. NLSolutions

NLSolutions LawnSite Member

Some of my experiences/thoughts...

Not sure about Canada but here is the State, there are many opportunities to get money from investors if your business plan is good. SBA is a great place to start. Due to the current economy, not sure what they will be offering anymore but they have awesome resources and can point you in the right direction if you want to raise money. Grants are another thought, there are a ton out there for just about anything and I think the SBA has a resource.

To get private money (Venture Capital) you are going to have to show them huge returns very quickly, typically they will want to see their money back in 2-4 years 5 max, and usually they hold on to their money tight until they see something big. Most of the groups I have worked with are not going to be interested in a landscape business unless you plan to take it to a Franchise position and can make them millions.

As for banks, I ve been to my local bank with not much luck for just a line of credit to start up. To qualify this, I am 24 with great credit, but still too risky even with my plan. Your situation may be different. I am going to go back soon to work on getting a loan for the equipment.

My point of all this rambling is that a business plan is a great tool that is never really 100% done. Ive worked on mine during my college classes and still change things from time to time. Right now it is around 16 pages with my exhibits not including the marketing plan which is being re-vamped right now. Ive also seen people moving toward powerpoint to make their presentations so keep that in mind if you do present to a group.

I definately think that a solid business plan is a must you are trying to get money from people, it makes you look professional and puts them at ease by knowing you have thought this out and are not just on a whim.

Hope this made sense/helped you out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. JFGauvreau

Cool thanks a lot! I will definately use your tips in my business plan!

7. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Going by a few of your posts I recommend taking a business class and probably working for someone else before you go into business for yourself. You only get one chance to make a name for yourself and its real easy to screw up.

8. JFGauvreau

Thanks but I am going in business next year, as for my business i'm very confident of making my own business I might only have 2 years of experience in core aeration and driveway sealing but doing 500+ driveways per summer is good for me. I have a lot of customer skills as well, the only thing i'm not good is all the paper work which I have someone hired for that.

9. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2cents...go ahead with the business, but with cash! You may think thats not possible. If you are serious about being successful and have confidence you will be, invest in yourself. By that I mean sell everything you don't really need in life to invest in your company. If you don't have anything to sell for cash, then work two...maybe three jobs for a year and save every extra penny. If your sitting there thinking I'm not going to sell my "stuff" or work my ass off for a year to start with cash, then your not ready to start a business anyway.

10. JFGauvreau

Ya I already bought my truck and now i'm saving on my equipment, except, its a property maintenance company not a landscape or lawn care, I will strictly do core aeration and driveway sealing in the summer to start off, and probably will except few other jobs to keep me busy.

so worst case scenario I can rent the aerator for a couple days till I can buy mine you know.