1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Plan

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by studentlawn, Jun 10, 2003.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I was searching around the site and I was surprised when I could not find anything on a business plan. I was wondering if anyone has a sample business plan that would be willing to give out. I am in the midst of creating my own so I can get some investors and grants, but it is tough; I want mine to be as thorough as possible.

I am also wondering if anyone knows if the $100 for Microsoft business plan pro is worth it?

2. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Investors?? Do you mean like your family?
    Grants? Are you planning on mowing in Never, NeverLand.

You may search the full Internet for sample business plans. This in NOT the only site on the net. But that does surprise me too,,,, uhm I wonder why? :rolleyes:
  3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't buy the business plan software. Go to www.sba.gov and do a lot of reading. They have everything you need to get started on your business plan. Do a good job on it and know what you are talking about so when they ask you questions you will know the answers. Good luck!
  4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

go to your local sba or small business developmental center...they can help. The ones here went out to all the local bankers and now give $20 seminars on how to put one together. They will even meet with you one on one....for free. That's here and not sure how it is there for you.

6. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help, I will look into those seminar's. Im not sure why I couldnt find any posts on this, I guess i wasnt looking hard enough. Well as far as grants, you guys seem to be suprised that I say that. Most think grants are impossible, but I think if you keep searching and asking and asking they come around. Right now my high school president is working with my current college's president in funding a grant for my business. Also my partners boss who is a family friend asked Ari to propose a business plan and marketing strategy and they would come up with some money, we didnt even ask or bring it up. I think as young entrepreneurs we may be at an advantage.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

If you think you can, or you think you can't....... you're right.

Go get the grant.
  8. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

The business plan pro software looks really thorogh but a real pain to work on. I worked on it for hours and hours and felt like I was getting nowhere. The questions it asks you are so complex and don't seem to relate too much to our industry. Good luck with your plan.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think your "partners boss" is going to want a Return On Investment? If so, how many "partners" are you going to have? Suggestion: Start slow using whatever capital you have. Reinvest it until you have equipment you need. That way you have less people sticking their nose into your business!

10. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member