Business Plans

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brianblakebishop, Jun 16, 2006.

1. brianblakebishop

brianblakebishop LawnSite Member

I would like to know the consciences of writing a business plan? Did any of you all write a business plan, either for direction or financing? Does it make a difference? Any direction would help.

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Business plan is intimidating to me, so many irrelevent questions, "who is your customer"... crap like that. I do set goals and make plans to achieve them. Goal setting is very important.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The plan will tell you what it will cost to run your business, It will force you to look at all the money going out and also how to get it to come in. When you know it will cost 25$ to produce work you will know not to sell work at 24$. It will open your eyes to ALL that is involved. Computer paper, ink, time to print invoices. Extras blades and the time to sharpen. Trimmer line and the holder, Drive time, time to put gas into everything. and 1000 other things that it takes to run a business,
    Freddie is right that there are many "unanswered" questions but that is the reason for doing it.-- to bring those questions to light.
    And than after the 1st day out you will look at it and change it. ---and after the 1st week. and every month after that---- the plan has to evolve

Yes it is goals and deadlines but also how to get there. The best map does nothing if you do not know where you are going. And if you know where to go but no map you will never get there.

Yes plans are good

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

my business plan is a Z06 in my garage

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is possible in your case it could make a difference.

So, what do you plan on doing?

Ok, how about what do you think would you enjoy doing?
    If it's lawncare, which jobs do you think might you LIKE doing?
    Do you think you would like doing mulch?
    How about cutting grass?
    Leaves?
    And so you keep thinking about all the different things you can do concerning lawncare, and pick those things that you at least THINK you will enjoy! Yeah, no sense in running a business doing things you hate doing, and certainly you can be a business that only does some things... My business, all I do is cut grass, core aerate (seed), hedge trim, mulch and leaves. That's it! Yeah yeah, some odd stuff comes along sometimes and I do it, but 99% of what I do is what I just said.
    There's plenty more things you can think about doing:
    Gutters, powerwashing (decks, patios, driveways, houses), painting, the list goes on and on, read the forum some to get more ideas.

6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

You will likely not get a big response, as I doubt the majority here have a completed and working business and marketing plan.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

A business plan is a good idea. Even if you are not going to borrow money. One exercise is the SWOT analysis. Strengths, weakness, opportunity, and threats. If you write down you goals the chances of realizing your goals are better. It also will help you decide your course for your business

8. Lawn-Scape

Lawn-Scape LawnSite Member

I'm also interested in putting a business plan together. I've seen many sample plans on the internet that offer a good outline and format to begin with. There are also good questions to ask yourself about the processes you use.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The process is easy-- what is it going to cost to be in business..
    Add income for you!!!!----
    Add labor ---price job!!

10. Macy0782

Macy0782 LawnSite Member

I have a friend with a very successful landscaping business and no business plan. I guess it all depends on what you want or need. I personally am looking into developing one for my company.