Business Plans

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keene Landscaping, Mar 9, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No you don't want to expand here

I dont even work here and I live here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. zwhit81

zwhit81 LawnSite Member

I don't have a detailed business plan because of the nature of the industry. If you have everything planned out for 5 years and then it doesn't rain for 6weeks (2012) your plan may have to change. My "plan" is pretty basic and I would be glad to share:

1. No debt of any kind no matter what!
    2. Try multiple advertising options until I find what works best for me. (Should know this season as this is my 3rd year with this goal.)
    3. Advertise wisely once I know my best advertising option.
    4. Be slow to hire.
    5. Do the best possible job I can.
    6. Continue to keep costs as low as possible!!!!!!
    7. NEVER believe that I have all of the answers and always be willing to learn from other. (Customers, competitors, friends, and people on this site.)

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

The point is when you make a business plan you account for that. If we have a drought it doesn't effect my income because of how I have things setup.

The only thing not included is snow services. Cause of my location.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good to me.

I have figured from the start, if I had no debt, if my truck doesn't leave home it doesn't cost much, just insurance. And if I make houses look real good the money will follow. So far its worked.

I will also add, the business should be fun! Not as much fun as Golf or Fishing but it should be something you want to do.

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

"The Rooskies don't even take a dump without a plan."

- The Hunt For Red October

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Fun? I knew I was doing something wrong....

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Beats working for the "man" anyday.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My major purchases are planned through 2022 atm. That got a lot easier when we changed plans from running things till they were worn out to set times to sell off old stuff and get new models. The nice part about that it makes planning out the repair part so much easier.