1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business plummitted from 16 to 6

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Nov 12, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in serious trouble now! Ahh, I don't know where to start. Anyway, in the last 4 weeks, I have lost 10 customers. :( :( . 3 have died all of a sudden and sold their properties, 5 have moved, and 2 people said they couldn't keep up with the bills. So, my business, just plummitted from 16 strong residential customers, to only 6. This is really frustrating. Anyway, I past out frlyers this past Saturday for leaves and this one woman asks me to do her leaves in her front yard only, apporx. 6,000 sq, ft. So anyway I told her it would take me about a half hour so around $20. I mean the front was pretty full of leaves. The whole time we're taing, her husband keeps appearing saying we don't need it, the leaves are all still on the trees and keeps interruping our conversation yelling. So the lady says come on Tuesday today)after school and I'll pay you. So when I get home from school I get a message. It's that woman for the leave removal job. "Well I'm srry to tell you but I will not be needing your services because my husband got to it today and plus he said in his whole life of being an electric engioneer, he's never made $40 per hour. I was so PO. I knew he did that to me just to piss me off. UGH, I hate people like that. And at that, the guy sits at home all day (Iretired) and watches t.v. Yeah he finally got to it today. HE had all day to do it yesterday. I think the husband yelled at her and told her to call me back. The lady was very polite and nice to me. So, I hate grumpy old people! :angry: Sorry, had to vent
  2. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Hey, you should just drop by tomorrow and see how the ol' guy is doing. By tommorrow the lactic acid should be killing his muscles right about then. You can give him your card and I bet he will take it. "Oh my aching back!!"

If given the time you could give the guy a breakdown of your operating cost and then he might understand why you make $40 an hour. But it is likely he won't listen to you long enough for you to explain.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Dont give them a time frame if you can avoid it. Simply look at the area to be serviced and give them a price you can live with. This way if you do it in a half hrs time its due to youth, if it takes a little longer its still money well spent by the clients.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I don't tell them what equipment I'll bring in or how long it will take. I look at the yard, ask if they want leaves hauled or dumped on their property and tell $60.00 for example. Take it or leave it, heck of a attitude, but I'm not going to wine and dine them for a job. see ya
  5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA, guys, good replies. I have another still existing customer right across the street from him with a much larger lot and much more leaves. I think when I do the leaves on Friday, i'm gonna make it look extra special so he can see what an idiot he is :D

Hopefully for those lost accounts I will be able to get them back when i am able to drive. Lots of family members of my current accounts say they want service next spring so... I'll be alright for now :)
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to be prepared to respond to dumb statements like that. Her husband never made $40.00 per hour, but the company he worked for made a great deal more per hour than $40.00 I can guarantee that!

Just like you dont make $40.00 per hour...your business does. There are lots of items you have to pay for in order to run your business.

Good Luck..move on.

P.S. You mention how "Strong" these accounts were. I hope you have learned that there are no strong accounts residential or commercial.
  7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Same for mow goes for leaves there should be a minimum, my minimum for leaves is 100.00 if are one time deal, some of te reason that I found I was losing customers is because I was cheap, so I had cheap customer which had a potentially nice house but looked like crap because they never took care of, when they sold it the new people didn't wanted the service some times is not that they are cheap is because they make little money and that's the only house they could afford.
    4 of my customers sold their houses this year I end up with 4 more customer and a lot of extra work, why? because the new owners continued with me, plus 3 out of the 4 that sold bought a new and I also got those too.

If somebody sell their house always go and check with the new owner to see if they are interested to continue the service.
  8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You got to hate it when stupid stuff happens like this. But if this is the last time, count yourself lucky, very lucky.

The person I feel sorry for in all this is the B hole's wife. Imagine what she has to put up with when people aren't around. :dizzy:
  9. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

When you do the neighbor's clean up on friday, save a few bags of leaves and sneak over the the old man's yard late friday night and dump those leaves out into his yard.... scatter them out so it won't look obvious....:rolleyes: ;) :p
  10. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I'm an engineer (civil) and I didn't make $40.00/hr. either until I started cutting grass.