Business Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firecapt13, Apr 30, 2005.

1. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Hello to all of you.

I have been in the Pressure Washing business for 8 years. I have several friends that do lawn care and landscaping.

I have one friend that is going out of business and i have the opportunity to buy his equipment. I have never really given much thought about lawn care as a business and was wondering what some of your thoughts are. Is it fairly easy to learn the basics of the business. Does anyone know of different books or resources that could help.

The equipment list is as follows, could anyone give general idea of worth.

16' open trailer with racks and box for tools 2 years old
    52" hustler z with bagger it has kawasaki engine 3 years old 360 hrs
    44" toro hydrostat walk behind 4 years old 300 hrs on it
    a few misc tools no edger blower or weedeater, I have these already for my personal use.

I was thinking of purchasing this equipment and trying to get into business slowly and then maybe in a year or 2 get my 16 year old son to run it.

I appreciate fourms such as this one. I have been a member of several pressure washing boards such as this for a few years now and learned most of my pressure washing knowledge from there. I hope i can do the same here about lawn care.

Lawrence Carter
    Southern Power Clean

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

whats the asking price on the equipment?
    since he's throwing in the towel, is he able to give you his former accounts?

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a decent setup to get started, Lawrence. You'll probably need to buy a smaller mower to fit thru gates, I know a 44" won't fit thru most gates in my area.

To be honest, I've read a few lawn-related books, but I find a lot better and more practical advice on this forum. Use the search feature up top and you can find a lot of answers to any questions you might have.

There's probably a lot of similarities between power washing and lawn care, both are service businesses, you already have experience with acquiring/dealing with clients. I'm sure you could get some lawn customers out of your powerwashing customers.