Business Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dahoopd, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Dahoopd

Dahoopd LawnSite Member

Well I was in the business for 4 years back in 99 and I only did lawn care, pruning and trimming. It wasnt legit but I had plans to do so. Long story short I had to get out of it. Well I recently acquired 10 customers because I was doing it on the side with a friend that had a decent business going but the friend had to go away for awhile. Out of all jobs I have ever had in my life, it was the one I enjoyed most and the one I have always been good at.

Anyway, I took the smaller lawns that I could with what I had left from my previous years. I want to build on what I have but dont think I am big enough to go legit even though its the right way to go. I work as an operations supervisor 3/13 hour days a week and am off 4 so I have the ability to support myself. Its also the perfect opportunity to build the clientel and grow a business.

My question is do you think its a bad choice to do flyers and business cards and try to build something my first year without a license and insurance. I have an 8000 bonus coming in march and thought it would be a good time to go out and buy most of the equipment I need. I dont mind using out of pocket to get started but I would hate to start the licensing and tax portion of the busniess with only 10 residential lawns.

I must say I spent the last 3 hours reading through just this forum and found nothing but awesome info. I can only imagine what my efforts this time around will bring being a part of this site. Thanks again for the help.

I am open to any and all feedback or blasting for the question. Thanks again.

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey getting legit is not as difficult as you might think. Use this winter to do the research I do not know your state laws but it would not take long to learn what you need to do and file the right papers. The insurance is not that expensive and if you are worried about taxes find someone who has done taxes for self employed sole proprietor.