Business Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say you could get a bunch of lawns at $23-25 a cut all 2-3ksf lawns. In and out in 15mins. 2 on each street. Furthest account would be 2 miles. Most are within 4 blocks of eachother. Now I know the minimum would be $25 but in this area it just won't fly. So with all accounts in a tight route. Would this be a good idea? With a minimum of 2 on each street.
  2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

sounds good to me but something to think about is can you do half the work somwhere else and get almost the same amount of money. How many accts would this be? 15 min a lawn is great though. Also beats driving everywhere
  3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Sounds like a great deal to me.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you can truly get in and out in 15 minutes and competition is that tough...why not come down a little more. You could make some flyers with the price right on it and just hit the whole area. Advertise a special of $19.95. If you didn't want to come that low, that's fine, but I think you could get away with putting the price on the flyer. Have you some nice looking, glossy, full color flyers made. I think you could make a killing doing that in your area..since the houses are so tight and pretty much the same size lawns everywhere.
  5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We work in a cluster sub-division and drive the mower from one account to the next, but one guy has to move the truck. We get $30 per account and that is our minimum, for now. They average 13 minutes per yard with 2 guys a 52" rider and it is fine. Started with 9, dropped the ones with gates and now have 5. The ones with gates threw off the whole rythymn, because they had to unload and load the w/b.

According to your numbers your talking $70-80 an hour...sounds good.

Just curious...have you timed yourself to come up with the 15 minutes or are you estimating. So often things look like 15 minutes, and we say 15 minutes, but my guys ROLL through those 5 yards and it set just perfect, fluid. Wish we could move through all of them like it. Just thought I'd mention it...15 turns to 30 REAL quick.
  6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Total, sounds like you have a pretty good system. Do you plan on moving forward with some more accounts? 5 yards is a comfortable start while you're trying to get your timing down and figure out where you're at, but you'll find that when you get up around 60-70 accounts it will become second nature and that 10-15 minutes will become a reality rendering the whole issue mute. Good luck! :) :)
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on what your definition of "a bunch of lawns". It sounds like a pretty good plan, but if we're talking 10 lawns, it probably wouldn't be worth it. If we're talking 100 lawns, then it would definitely be worth it.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Are these accounts you are buying, accounts being donated, or what you think you can get in the area. That makes a big difference too.

Your time is the value at stake. If you have a 3 man crew at 15 min per yard. At $25 per mow that is only $33 per man hour. If you have a 1 man crew. That is $100 per hour. Makes a huge difference.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am solo for right now. I am going to be putting out 5k fliers and hoping to get many. last year I put out 40-50 and got 3-4 calls.