1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

business sale

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wms145, Apr 20, 2008.

1. wms145

wms145 LawnSite Member

I'm relocating for another job opportunity and need to sell my lawn care business. I have a Scagg tiger cub, honda commercial push, redmax trimmer, stick edger, and backpack blower, echo hedge trimmer, and trailor. I also have a 2004 dodge ram 4 door pick up with 60,000 miles. I have 35 lawn maintenance customers, but no contracts. I do 5 to 10 landscape jobs a month. I am unsure of how to value my business or what to sell it for. I understand that without contracts this decreases the value some what.

Anybody have any ideas as to what price I could ask ?
  2. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I wish you were in KS, that would be PERFECT. I have bought out 3 lawn companies back when I used to be full time in the business. I paid 2 times the amount of the mow price, and we just worked out a price on the equipment, if we even wanted that.
  3. wms145

wms145 LawnSite Member

Are you saying if a customer pays 200 a month you would pay 400 for that customer?
  4. wms145

wms145 LawnSite Member

can any one give me an idea of a sale price?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You need to call your customers and inform them of your situation so they can start making informed choices.
  6. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

if they pay 40 per cut I'd pay 80, at least that how it was a long time ago
  7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

5-10 % of gross of yearly sales is fair.

That is how I did it.
  8. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

how did that work out for you?

I have someone that might wanna sell me some lawns, I told him the 2x's the cut price.

I might consider 5% of gross