Business slogans, how to COPYRIGHT

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawnboy85, May 6, 2007.

1. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

I've recently come up with a few business slogans that I would like to put on green t-shirts and hand them out as advertising.

First, is it necessary to go to the trouble of copyrighting? The only thing I am afraid of is putting these slogans (ones that I have not seen anywhere, nor did I find on the internet) on green t-shirts and someone seeing it and claiming it's their's. Sure, the chances of that are slim, but I have no clue what could be done to my business if the few phrases I have in mind are already taken.

I want the cheapest way possible, albeit, after looking on the internet, I found that it probably won't be that cheap.

I would like to hear from both commercial/noncommercial lawn care businesses and what they did in order to get any creative slogans claimed as their own.

I appreciate any advice regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Lohse's Lawn Service

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Copyright is automatic when you create the work. You don't have to do anything to register a copyright. Do you mean Trademark?

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

You cant copyright a slogan.

copyright is NOT just if you create work....

BUT there is what's called infrengement.....
    you cant open a restrunt and call it McDuggles and have golden arches and have your colors yellow and red, and say over 1billion served .... McDonalds would be all over you...

4. Lawnboy85

from South

Yes, trademark sounds right. I contacted the US Copyright Office and mentioned trademarking. I found the cost of a filing fee to get a trademark and it starts at $275 and goes up to $375, depending on how you file for the trademark. This information was found at http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/index_feefaq.html.

My next question is 'is it really necessary to trademark a slogan, phrase, etc. for my lawn business?"

I appreciate your help.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure you can get a trademark but are you willing to defend it against infringement? That is were things can get expensive.

6. Lawnboy85

from South

I guess all this slogan trademarking stuff can be a handful. When you say defend it against infringement, do you mean someone stealing my slogan and I have to defend it or me stealing someone else's slogan? All I want to do is make a simple shirt, maybe order a couple for myself to wear while working, and I really don't want to put out that kind of money to get it trademarked. Keep in mind, I don't want to do anything that's illegal, but I have not seen the phrase I have in mind anywhere else, including the internet, so couldn't I take that chance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to be the bad guy! Thanks again for your help.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

His statment may have been a bit harsh...... truthfully your NOT going to infringment with a slogan......... Like I stated before......
    IF....IF you were to totaly copy someone... there colors, there slogan, there ad's there this and that... AND if they were BIG like walmart, McDonalds, then you may have a problem..... BUT no one will come after you... simply because your a small fish...

If indeed you infr

8. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Fox News tied really hard to copyright their slogan "Fair and Balanced" and got nowhere...I doubt anything you came up with as a slogan or catch phrase would be either.