business start up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by terryenterprises, Oct 31, 2007.

1. terryenterprises

terryenterprises LawnSite Member

I have a demand for my service, but my resources are a bit limited, and funds are....well....short. I have always had a head for business, but this whole start up thing has me at a stand still. Any suggestions???

2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What are u getting into?

3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, what are you trying to start up

4. if you have a head for business, you'll figure it out.

5. terryenterprises

Well everything but mowing. mainly aerate, fert, weed control, grub, moles, etc.... Basically I have an SUV, but to start I figure ill need at least a spreader, and a backpack sprayer. Finding used equipment around here dirt cheap seems to be a dead end.

6. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I may be in the same situation as you. I think you should ask about financing at your dealer of choice. You can buy mowers and equipment(on the mower bill of sale) at a good rate through the manufacturer usually.

I just checked into brand X and a $10,000 purchase was not too much over $220 a month for 4 yrs. A person could make that in the first yr on thier own and pay everything off (I think).

I am figuring:
    Zturn w/bagger @ $8,000
    trimmer, blower @ $1,000
    misc spare parts @ $350
    tax @ $650
    of course I am not figuring a truck payment or trailer into this as I have a trailer and a truck payment is not gonna change anything because I allready have that payment with a daily driver (vehicle may change, but payment will not).
    Also, I dont know if you need to figure in your day to day bills to survive(are you gonna quit your job?). I dont need to figure them in, just the new expenses like mowers, fuel, and ins, because my living expenses are covered other ways. But if yours are not, you need to figure you need to make enough to pay:
    • Your existing bills
    • New purchases/payments
    • New expenses like fuel and maintence
    • Ins, and startup costs (advertising, business license...)
    • Other stuff that will happen

This is just what I have learned in looking at my finances, looking at what I need to survive, and in deciding how I am gonna proceed. I hope this helps, but remember I may be forgeting somethings, as I am still new to this business also...

Good Luck!!:weightlifter:

7. terryenterprises

Thank you for the advice, i am open to any suggestion at this point.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

It took me a few min to type that, and in the mean time I see you posted again saying you were looking at used equipment.

I know others will disagree with me but I am gonna say it anyways. Buy New. Yeah ok, buy used if it is a heck of a deal (a little old lady used it on sundays... and it has 7 hours, half price of new). But other then the rare outstanding deal, I think new is the way to go.

Reasons for new:
    • Warrenty
    • Peace of Mind
    • Presentation

As you can tell from my name, I believe in Image in everything. In sales; branding, marketing, equipment, and your overall Image go along way in selling yourself, and your service. We have all seen the scruffy guy in the rusty 80's ford, using equipment that is down more then it is up, who leaves a jobsite messy and wonders why the only work he gets is for peanuts. Dont become that guy, working for customers that don't want to pay for what the service is worth. By presenting yourself with professional quality equipment you supply yourself with a professional quality Image, and hopefully customers that are looking for professional work, and are willing to pay a professional price.

Again, I am not in THIS business yet. But I have some experience in other sales, come from a family of business owners, and I am a junior working towards a BA in Business... so I know what I will be doing.

Again, Good Luck. Be Professional.

9. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of SUV do u have? Are u going to be towing alot with it for ur business? I dont know if i would go with all new products.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well dang a backpack and a broadcast are but $200 total, new...
    You got a SUV then you got $200, come on now that's just gas money.

Seriously, look here, 29.99 for the hand-op version:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95693

Yes sir, you want to spend 90 on a backpack they better give you the 12v electric pump kind:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94573
    Wow I like that one, adjustable sprays and all, might have to get it for myself.

Then the broadcaster, a decent 125 lb. one, for the balance:
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_9054_9054

GEEZ it went up another 10 bucks, I paid 124.99 for this 6 years ago ...
    But $200 and some change you're set, make it 250 for tax and if you have to mail-order one or the other.

If you're that strapped here's the 85 lb. model for 65 bucks (but I do prefer 100+ lbs so you can get 2 bags in the hopper), anyhow:
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200322587_200322587
    Shoot, you get that and the 29.99 backpack and you're out 120 at the most.

Ok, these are not the 20-year constructions you might have had in mind, but they'll last at least 1-2 years, I'm still using that Agri-Fab 125 lb spreader I bought 6 years ago, it's looking a bit ragged but I got my money's worth.