Business Tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johndeerefan, Jun 5, 2007.

1. johndeerefan

johndeerefan LawnSite Member

Does anyone know any little tricks for picking up more business we lost a lot of yards this year and nothing is working to get more business. Please Help

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I have the same problem, some things that have helped is to throw a little bit of money around, that is to say do a really good job for your regulars, throw in little extras at no cost, and be polite and respectful, treat them like Kings and Queens, ahhh yes sir / ma'am, can do.

As a rule I do this starting with my best customers, the ones who spend the most money without ever complaining or being a pita, those are always first in line to get the special treatment, and work on down the line until you feel you've reached a limit of sorts.

Some folks you can't do this with, you'll only set yourself up for being took, but use your better judgement, do the best you can and tolerance, tolerance and patience...

Worst part is having to put your foot down when something goes too far, and you know you're faced with that dilemma, but other than that it's not so bad.

It is also a good time to cut costs, that's what I've been doing, hard times help me make my company leaner and meaner, which in turn results in a bonus when things improve. Might be a good time to do some maintenance as well, such as if you have overstock on certain things, see what stuff you can put to use (but don't run yourself short on back supplies and don't buy stuff unless you really need it).

Good luck.

3. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Why do you think you lost the accounts? Did you lose them at the start of this year, or they just dropped you in the Spring? Did you lose them based on poor performance, or did another company come in and cut your prices?

The best thing you can do to drum up more business is to work with the customers you do have and ask them for any referrals. A word of mouth referral goes very far to giving your company credibility.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Props to greatlawns. First understand why you lost the customers. If its workmanship fix it. Word of mouth referrals are a great way to gain customers - its often a cheap way to gain customers.

5. johndeerefan

johndeerefan LawnSite Member

no they dropped at the beginning of the season due to competing prices against big companies

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Focus on quality customers. Don't even try to compete with the big companies. Quality and word of mouth are the best forms of advertisement. Albiet a slow method.