1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

business tracking software, What and Why?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn Lizards, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

How does everyone track their business? I started with Groundskeeper Pro a few years ago. However, it just didn't have all that I needed because my biz was growing very fast, so I started using Quickbooks Pro and have ever since.

Once again, I have the same problem... Quickbooks is great, but my business has grown to the point where I want more in a software as far as tracking time/labor. ALSO, a scheduling program that works well enough and has the features I want. Plus, an better way of Cashflow Management, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs or even ideas of what you would like to see from what you have experienced?

Please Help! :confused:
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if this is the kind of idea that you would like but I used to work as a Traffic Manager for a big compnay years ago and they had a system made specifically for them, customized to their exact needs. You basically tell the "computer nerd" what you want the program to do and he makes it. It cost them about $1500 almost 11 years ago, so I don't know what it would cost now, might even be cheaper nowadays, Just something you much want to look into. Hope this helped.....
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

microsoft money has more than enough. It was to much for me...

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to look into QXpress by Alocet. It links to Quickbooks and provides scheduling and time tracking. I use the standard version which doesn't provide time tracking, but the gold and platinum versions do.
    Another benefit to the program is the invoicing methods. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it's worth a try.

5. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

As you grow your software issues will too. This list isn't for everyone. You could have 500 mowing accounts and that's it. And if that's true then step 1 is all you need.

However, if you make up your own fliers, need to be able to sort customers based on a query (such as location), graph your profit loss for every customer and give a presentation to the board of a construction company, then step 5 is the best option.

1. Quicken Business
    2. Quick Books
    3. Quickbooks and add-on scheduling package Gopher or Qxpress.
    4. Dedicated Industry software like Lawn Monkey with Excel.
    5. MS Access, Word, Excel and Powerpoint. And by the time you learn these 4 to their full potential you'll feel like you majored in computer software.

good luck

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Lawn Lizards,

If you find that you have specific needs that you just can't find solutions to, could you send us a PM with specifics of what you need? Thanks.
  7. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

We've used Clip for almost 15 years now...we're happy.