1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business types

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I was talking to a guy who cuts lawns near where I live. He said he has 22 accounts and averages around $45 per cut per customer. He cuts every week if it needs it or not. He also cuts three bigger places for around $150 per cut but it's an on call basis when the owners don't have time to do it themselves. He knows a bunch of other guys who also cut lawns but fewer around 15 to 20 each. They charge $35 per cut. He told me he told them they need to increase their prices to $45. This guy uses a new JD rider and does a nice job. He has a curved shaft trimmer an older trailer with ramp gate and a 3 year old truck. He is retired but onlt around 60 years old. He says he does this just to have something to do but charges enouggh to make it worth his while. The $45 would be close to average price for the properties he is doing. We charge a little more but have commercial equipment. This guy pays no taxes, no insurance anything. Whos' the fool? I was almost crying when we were done talking. Then tonight I get home and receive another insurance bill in the mail. This guy doesn't spray, trim hedges, or any other work. His overhead is low because he also needs the mower to cut his own big lot. He says he makes more money than when he was working for someone else. I've know him for quite a few years and know that he is doing this many lawns.
  2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

What part of Ontario is this? I know for me, it is NOT worth it to not have insurance, especially since it is only $88 per month.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you know if you are a legal business, operating within the law or not.... and you can either be proud of yourself..... or ashamed....
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Along Lake Huron. Farm country and cottagers. Many, many uninsured guys running around. Everybody knows everybody and nobody sues. This guy has known most of his customers for many many years. He used to run a retail business before.