1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Busted 21 Kawi? Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Jul 31, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Well just did some serious mowing the other day, a 3/4 acre field that was overgrown about 12 inches or so. I would go over it with the deck up, and then back over it at 3.75" to get it short.

By the way I have a Exmark 21Kawi Lazer HP bought in March.

Yesterday mowing along and the engine just stopped, almost like I had hit something. Checked the blades and belts, everything looked fine. I could spin the mule drive with my hand so nothing was affecting (effecting?) that. When you try and start it the fan tries to move but clicks. Sounds like something is stopping it from turning over...

Had to push the thing on the trailer, which was a blast by the way, and took it to my dealer this morning. Good news #1: Service guys dont work on Saturdays

Good News #2: They are getting audited on Monday so they can give out no loaners until then

Good News #3: after throwing my mule drive pulley two days ago and taking it in, I am behind on 12 accounts that are really large, with a full schedule next week.

The guy at the desk said it sounded like a busted engine, but the mower only has 65 hours on it so far!!

The mower was not straining in any way going through the grass so I did not think that would be a problem.....

I will say I havent checked the oil in about 20 hours though so I was wondering if that might be a problem? But it just came out of the shop yesterday!!!

ANy suggestions or situations like this?
  2. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

Arrgghhhh..... Sounds like your 21 Kawi may be locked up.

Oil starvation will get you every time. Of course with only 65 hours on it I would not expect it to have consumed enough oil to allow this to happen. Translation....if your (new) motor is using oil fast enough that it cannot go 20 hours without a refill then I would offer that you had a manufacturer defect to start with.

Golden rule....when you add fuel, check the oil.

What concerns me is the lame excuse you were given for no loaner. That's a bunch of crap. If your deal included a free loaner or a cheap rental or whatever...this auditing biz as an excuse is hogwash. ESPECIALLY if you are backed up and this is your business.

Auditing procedures ALWAYS have a methodology built in to account for "stuff that you have, that isn't here". Suppose one of their loaners was at the welding shop or (heaven forbid) out on loan.

If I were you, I would be on the phone with the owner or at minimum the local rep that sold me the unit: "Yeah buddy...I am expecting you to come down here Saturday afternoon and horse out a loaner" audit my butt.

Now obviously all of this changes if you are not ENTITLED or were not PROMISED a loaner.... IN that case I would be at the nearest rental center or doing what I could do to get back on the street.

Good Luck...

If Kawi replaces your motor without a struggle...please let us know on the site. Always nice to hear when a manufacturer stands behind their product.
  3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Did you double check that the blades were disengaged when you tried to restart it?. I have no clue why it died. But I have had this happen with employees who were not familiar with the machine forget to disengage the blades, set the parking brake, move the handles out before restarting and all it would do is click.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Check the reset switch! Seriously though, no matter how many hours it has on it, check the oil. Kawasaki engines are a little more advanced than others but they still require constant monitoring. Why there is no oil pressure guage I don't know. I hope it's something simple though. It sounds like some kind of breakaway part like a flywheel key don't it?
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are dealers always expected to furnish a free loaner?

If you purchase a no downtime agreement then you are entitled to a loaner but the dealer can no more afford to furnish free mowers than you can mow yards for free.

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: you can pull the wire of the low oilw sensor, if the sensor if faulty and if it is responding to low oil , which it may not be low it will not start.

check fuses and more imporantanty the relays under the seat.

check the ground on the machine, if the starter is clicking may be a bad ground.
  7. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Grasssin....Im not familiar with you're Exmark but i must say that from an ASE techician's stand point it sounds to me that you have one of two things happening here, and that is assuming that it is electric start. First, check you battery no matter how stupid that sounds considering the age. Many, many times i've seen cars sit at our dealership for a considerable time to end up with a dead battery. The condition can be caused by a draw, but in this instance it just may need a little more juice. Im sure you've had a dead car (or truck) battery that was dead and when you go to start it, the darn thing just clicks repeatedly. Secondly, The other thing that immediatly pops to mind without actually seeing or hearing it would be a starter solenoid. Like I said there Grasssin, I DON'T know squat about you machine but i can give a ton of info about the automotive end of the spectrum and hope that you can possibly relate it to you're Exmark. I hope it helps....Good Luck. Send a line if you could use more info. -Forest:cool:
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to get a socket and drive wrench, put it on the main engine/belt pulley and try and turn the motor (same method for turning the engine for adjusting the valves) and see if it will turn. if not, then it's locked up. sounds like a bad rod to me.
  9. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys, I will let you know the verdict on Monday....
  10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't remember what size socket it takes, memory says 5/8"