BUSTED!! (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Chilehead, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I had a great day today! I go out to do a sprinkler repair for this guy who just bought a new house. He says his irrigation system won't work. I go to turn on the main valve and notice a pipe tee-ing in to the box from an odd (perpendicular) direction. I turn on the main valve and nothing happens. So I dig to see where this oddly layed pipe goes to. Four feet down the line and I come to another buried valve--no box, just buried. I turn it, and water gushes through.......Yep, this system was tied in to the NEIGHBOR'S meter.:dizzy:
    So I tell the owner about this and tell him we need to find out who the installer was and to call the cops, otherwise he's (the owner) in big trouble. The cops show up, I show 'em the evidence, reports are written, and now I hope the installer gets caught.

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Well it's obvious it was the homeowner.. Or the previous owner lol

Think about it, why would a contractor or installer purposely install it on the neighbors meter? How does it benefit them.

Should have taken pictures :)

I've never come across that situation yet. Though I've seen accidental legit tie ends to the wrong meter.

Were the cops really necessary?

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Chilehead was covering his bases, as I would have done.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, better safe then sorry I guess.

I've ran into 2 connections for irrigation systems prior to the water meter.
    With an existing union, the willingness to get soaked. This can be done.
    I just notified the water district and let them deal with it.

I've also had people cap the back flow assembly to avoid the annual back flow test and then telephone the main line around the back flow box. The water district catches on usually though

5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Thanks! Here in GA, it's a felony to connect to another's meter.

6. Water theft got you the hangman's noose at one time.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

No kidding...seriously. why not just work on rectifying the problem with the homeowner. I dont think the current owner would be dumb enough to call for service on something he installed like that.
    :rolleyes: