Busted my valve covers need a quick fix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I'm not a mechanic so let me explain the situation before I get any suggestions. I was mowing and the mower slid into a guard rail and the little black covers that say OHV on my Chopper 25 HP Kohler got a little crack on them. Can I make this fix myself? Do I need any gaskets or a torque wrench? My dealer is a moron and I'm sure I will do a better job, plus I need my mower before the 4th of August. So any advice is appreciated. :eek:

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

There are 4 bolts holding that on. Can you buy another valve cover? If so I would buy it and a gasket, remove 4 bolts, replace the gasket and cover and re-install the bolts. Nothings going to fall out when you take the cover off. Just use a crossing pattern on the bolts when you re-tighten them and check for leaks after you run it for a while---------and don't overtighten the bolts.

If you can't get a cover right away then try using some JB Weld on it, should hold.

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

A complete valve cover kit is available from J-thomas.com for $26.10, check them out. Fast shipping too.........Lynn

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If your dealer doesn't have a new one in stock, ask him if he has one on an old engine you can get. A used cover should work fine too. There are several lawn mower companies that use Kohler, ask other dealers for this part also. It is an easy fix.

5. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know who your dealer is but if you want to come to Hanover I can turn you on to a couple of good dealers, one is a DC dealer and the other is not but his guys can fix choppers as well or better.

If this sorry connection gets through E-mail me.