Busted the wheel hub on my exmark. What do i do now

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maelawncare, Jun 6, 2009.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well my seal started leaking like crazy on my wheel motor. So i got my seal kit and started to take off the wheel hub. And wouldnt you know my 2 prong puller didnt pull it off. Just snapped it in 2 :( And i still dont have the dam thing off.

So how do i get this off now? Im at a lose.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Well, what I would do is take my air powered cut off grinder or my Sawsall and split the hub at the key way. If you don't have those tools...take it back to the shop.....
    Maybe some one else has a better idea..............

ericg likes this.
  3. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Splitting the hub is going to be pretty hard and you will obviously have to be careful not to damage the axel.

Maybe you already got it off??

If not, I have always relied on heat. Heating that hub (trying NOT to heat the axel) will cause it to expand and usually will do the trick. If you don't have a regular torch setup sometimes a small propane type torch(plumbers torch/homeowner torch) with a Mapp gas cylinder attached (it gives allot more heat than propane) will work almost as well.

Also, spray some PB Blaster (Auto Part store) solvent in the keyway. That stuff does amazing things with seized parts!

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the way to go. Just cut at the keyway. After you get through, support the hub and split it with a large chisel. Safe and quick. Heat wont do squat, and it's not seized. It's a tapered fit. And by the way, have you ever attempted a repair on a wheel motor? The seal you see is not the problem. The seal that is leaking has most likely worn a deep grove in the output shaft. More than .015 and your wasting your time. Don't mean to bum you out, but something to look at.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

looks like the snap ring is still on the shaft.

6. maelawncare

No you cant see the ring until you the get the hub off. i already had it off once.

7. maelawncare

oh and you cant just cut it off. the wheel hub goes inside. it presses on. so you cant get to all of it to cut it off.

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean. It must be different than all they others I've seen. You must have a "one of a kind there"

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Then cut as much as you can......and like ricky86 said, take a chisel to it. It's only cast and it will split, start at the front and work your way back, spreading it.

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to pull the hub on my Lazer last year and a typical 2 or even 3 prong puller wouldn't even come close to removing it. You need an automotive style puller and it will pop off. (you may need to drill the hub since part of it is missing) This is what I used and it worked great>>> http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-4482-otc-7394.aspx
    and I was able to borrow it from a local auto parts store. Good Luck

OTC-7394.jpg