Busted the wheel hub on my exmark. What do i do now

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maelawncare, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, a hub puller should have used that in the first place. There is not enough material left now. I have removed broken hubs by cutting at keyway. I don't understand why when people ask for advice, they are so sure it won't work, without even trying?
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It was a hub puller. It was a 2 prong hub puller. My dealer had a 3 prong and pulled it off just fine. But the 2 prong snaped it.

And the hub goes into the housing that holds the wheel motor. Which is why you cant get to all of it.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

:drinkup:Well, let us know how you make out......
    ericg likes this.
  4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

never seen a 2 prong puller. That was your big mistake. Dont know what to tell you with it now. the only thing i can think of is to cut the other non broken side off. Then use a grabber type puller on whats left and heat the hub before you put the gun to it.
  5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That must've made a heck of a bang when it snapped. Although kinda expensive, have you considered replacing the whole assembly. (wheel motor & hub etc.) At least then you'd have a back up if it ever happened again.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On my WB it was the bearing that damaged the shaft and the seal just couldn't keep the oil in. Shaft way too expensive to repair.
  7. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

For future reference in case anyone else stumbles across this thread you just snug up a 3 prong puller and tap the hub with a hammer and it will pop right off.
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, and you don't even have to grind quite all the way into the keyway, just close. Then a chisel will fissure the rest of it and the taper will release much easier.