Busted Window

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Louslawns, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Louslawns

Louslawns LawnSite Member

I'm gonna fess up!!! LOL. I was doing a new account last week and didn't really walk the yard to check things out. As I was riding I saw some loose stones and hit the pto I thought in time. Out of the corner of my eye I saw glass shattering. Lucky for me (I guess) it was the back window of my Blazer. Made a quick phone call to the glass company and they wanted $450.00 to replace it. With pending rain I called a local salvage yard and lo and behold they had one already taken off and waiting for me. $75.00 and they helped me put it in! Lesson learned........walk a yard before cutting.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

good catch on the junk yard find....got lucky and no one was injured...

3. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've busted my back door glass out twice at the same account almost a year to the date. Both times I went to a junk yard.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

When they built the airport here long ago they dredged out a "lake" for fill and sold some of the low quality stuff as fill to home builders, full of small pebbles and stones. Those homes can be real costly accounts window wise.

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Good thing it wasnt a house window or another persons car. Nice find BTW!

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You need to think about full-coverage business vehicle and business liability insurance. It costs a lot less than you think, and less than a the newest triple pane bay window you could put one through. It's just the cost of being a legit business, and yes it is fully tax deductible. You don't want to be wishing you had it when you need it.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

7. Louslawns

Louslawns LawnSite Member

I have submitted to receive insurance quotes. Haven't heard from anyone yet, but you are right.