Busted

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lite Headed, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Lite Headed

Lite Headed LawnSite Member

So every day going to my office , I pass this PVB along side of the road that has my curiosity up. It is a piece of roadside plumbing art that is located at a sports complex I keep telling myself that I have to stop and get some pics of it to share with all you guys. But hey, what's the rush? it will be there forever, right? Well, earlier this week I drive by to see it dug up. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO...they are going to destroy the artwork! Note to self: hurry up and get those pics before it goes away. So yesterday, I left for my commute a few minutes early to get some pics.

So I get to the scene of the crime right around 7:00 am and park in a nearby parking lot and walk over to the art. I figure I could be in and out of there before anyone noticed.
    I take one picture and about that time from behind me I hear a man say "Are you going to make us famous?" I said, "The pictures might end up on the web." Oops....busted. The two guys who had worked for the school district had pulled up and were right behind me. I told the two guys that I hadn't ever seen such clever plumbing before, They explained that the two 2" meters used to have separate PVB's but that somebody had stolen them both...busted them off with a sledge hammer. They only had one PVB on hand, so they came up with this idea.
    I drove past it yesterday afternoon and they had done some "re-plumbing" on it. :laugh: Updates to follow...

006.jpg

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Yikes. Better than a single, I guess, but certainly not taking full advantage of the water from both. Looking forward to the update (are they going to do it right?)

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I might have asked them why they used SCH80 fittings and SCH40 pipe, pipe not wrapped, and why they didn't T below ground to avoid that above ground mess. Around these parts, that "art" would have failed a drive by inspection. I hope it was only temporary. :laugh: or :cry:

4. Lite Headed

Lite Headed LawnSite Member

They told me the Sch 80 fittings were because they had problems with the Sch 40 fittings breaking. :laugh: It made me wonder if the fittings were breaking around the conjoined meters where the velocity must be in the 15 FPS range!

5. Need to work on their primer art. i prefer to speckle the whole pipe myself.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: Kinda makes you wonder what the thinking was there doesn't it?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not use galvanized?

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

glad you made it out alive!

9. CA Green

CA Green LawnSite Member

Wow, taxpayers money at work... maybe tech was into horse racing?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

That's awesome... someone brought S Florida ingenuity & workmanship to Texas