busy as heck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 13, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how are u guys as far as being busy, and picking up new work? we are picking up new customers at the rate of 4-5 per week now. its amazing, everything u guys said was so true, even the stuff i thought was stupid. uniforms, keeping the trucks and trailers/equipment clean, and in good running condition(i guess no one wants to see u fighting with and kicking your equipment), no yelling across the property, etc, etc, etc. the little things make a huge difference. if we pick up one lawn on a new block, we have been getting at least a neighbor or two based on our performance, and i guess possibly our appearence(i even shave now once in a while) . u new guys better listen hard to what the pros on this site have to say. they know what they are talking about!

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Been crazy as well Bobby, calls coming in all the time. Its nice to be at the point where I can be selective about which jobs I take and those I pass on.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so true about being selective..I have passed on two jobs this week so far and I am averaging around 4 new customers a week for mowing and about 5 a week for fertilization & weed control.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I am getting calls every day from new customers. I am also very busy with existing customers. I am doing regular customers first and right now putting off new work until June. The more calls the more you make, if the work is good work.:D

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Same in this area.

I got a number of new customers that had grass 10" or taller.
    And it's been that way for the last 3 weeks.

All told me that their "usual" guy just never showed up this year, and is out of touch and not around... *AND* that they called other people and I'm the only one who called them back...

They all wonder why these lawn guys even advertise if they don't answer or return phone calls....

So can I cut it and work something out?

I tell them that #1) The first cut is double the usual price. 2) The quality of the first cut is NOT reflective of my over-all appearance as it's imposssible to level down 10"'s of grass in even 2 or three shots and make the property look great.. It'll look Good, but not great. And that the 2nd cut will happen within 5-7 days of the first cut and we'll take it from there... (cause by then it'll be Memorial Day weekend and maybe into the 80's and out of the 60's and the grass will slow down, maybe just a little?)

I think this year, there was nothing to do, nothing to do and them wham-o, all at once full throttle. Although later than last year, it's full force big time.

Gary

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have so much work it pretty much just insane :dizzy: :dizzy: Mostly alota landscape work. But we also picked up like 10 new lawns so far, mostly between 70-$100 lawns. Right now I'm lining all the pavers and retaining walls up for the summer.

7. I believe the key is, listening to what the customers are wanting and looking for is what is getting you the jobs.

BTW....I am having trouble keeping up with them. I love this time of year. My quick response crew is now booked for 3.5 months solid.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Give high prices, skim the cream off the top. Let the cheapskate customers saturate the scubs into oblivion.