Busy part II

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I looked at the job today. They have about 250' of drive way and they want it 10' wide. They are eventually wanting to down the road put blacktop over it. They also want me to make them a pad that is roughly 50' x 30'. Things I was worried about that I explained to them is they are wanting to use the removed dirt/grass from the cut driveway and use to build the pad. I informed them that this will settle a good bit when the grass starts rotting and I advised against it. They said not to worry about it becaus they will just add more gravel. Also where the pad is to be placed is next to the blacktop on a hill side. They are not worried about it being level. They actually want it sloped and what ever dirt I get out of the driveway to put there and then top of with about 6" of gravel. Anyway since they eventually may at least blacktop the driveway I advised #411 crusher run. I told them I could put bigger base rock if they prefer but it would be very rough to drive over and they would most likley want it topped off with smaller gravel. Anyway I have figured up making the driveway about 4" thick. I figure about 86 ton of gravel but will call the gravel quary tomorrow and make sure what the prices are. Anyway Im figuring about $3,300 to $3,400 total for gravel and me running the machine. I could probably do it all in a day if everything lines up right but Im going to allow two days.
  2. Fieldman12

As for the blacktop drive way and the dump trucks. I told them I was worried about it and explained what to expect. They said that was fine and that they would sign a waiver.
  3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

fieldman - question for ya - how thick are you pouring this? i ask because we just had an incident with our firetruck breaking up a blacktop driveway that was only about 3" thick. BUSTED to hell - and now he wants us to pay for it. Just something to think about - especially on a long drive where a truck may need to get to .
  4. Fieldman12

Out close to the road it looked about 5" thick and closer to the house maybe 3 inches. I tell ya I would like to have the job but I have a bad feeling about the pad. I mean there is not going to be much dirt in with the grass. Im betting it will be smushy. Anybody ever tried this.
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

86 ton doesn't sound like enough stone...thats only 4 triaxle loads and some change.....
  6. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

4" thick sub base???? We go a minimum of 10" here with fabric underneath.
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

never build a pad out of organic dirt (topsoil)...also it seems this guys is being a bit of a tight wad...you also have to think about whether he will pay you or not

also 4" is a little thin...we usually shoot for 6-8...we put a 2A or if there will be heavier traffic we will put a 3A stone with a 2A on top of that
  8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

86 tons is spot on for a modified stone...2500 sqf. at a depth of 7" requires 82 ton
  9. Fieldman12

Yeah, I have never, ever used grass for a base and have always been told not to do so. I have always removed it and packed dirt in. Only reason I have even considered is because they (seem) to not be too worried. You guys are saying between 6" and 10" thick base. This is hard clay around here. I figured I would be fine with 4". If I build it all 6" or more I will have to remove allot more dirt. Around here all most guys do is just nock the vegetation off. The driveway would be higher than the yard if I was to build it 6" thick or more. I will do that though if you guys think that is best. It always seems like around here though if you get too much gravel it gets real mushy driving on it but I do know a good bit will eventually settle in the dirt so 6" or more is probably right.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing you really have at the end of the day is your integrity. You may want this that or the other, but if that little voice inside you starts to talk........listen. DirtDigger said it softly, I will say it a little louder........never ever ever throw organics (in this case the sod) underneath your work. That will come back to haunt you a thousand times over regardless what the happy-home-owner may be saying now. You may loose this job now over it, but if you succumb to their uneducated wishes you will have lost (or given away) your credibility, your professionalism, your integrity from this day forward. Either do it the way you know it should be done or pass.....there is more work out there, leave the scab stuff to those who will disappear over a short period of time because of crappy workmanship. If you don't remove the sod, you may as well throw down marbles or bubble gum for their base and save in the cost of imported gravels......