1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

But I was only paying $25 from my last guy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 4, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you give an estimate and the lady says, "but i was only paying $25 from my last guy", how do you turn it around and close the deal?
    Are you able to convince the lady to use your service?
    How do you do it?
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I usually just come right out and tell them that i am a ligitiment business and do this as a full time job to feed and provide for my family. Not just someone who comes out to make a quick buck and never comes back. I am dependable and will be here every scheduled day weather permitting.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

stbalor said it right, i think these are the very few people who might listen when you tell them health insurance is $850/month, $10,000/each mower, $1000/month fuel, $40,000 trucks, bus insuance so on so on
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

oh yeah, and we NEVER call to say, sorry i had to work, couldnt make it.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well some variation of "If you were happy with the last guy you wouldn't have called me" is very effective.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer doesn't care how much your bills are. Simply ask where the last guy is now / look at what it got you.
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the last "guy" now?? This is MY price that I HAVE to charge in order to cover MY expenses and make a living. I am NOT Monte Hall and this is NOT "Let's make a deal"!
    We will be here every week, we do have insurance, my equipment is well maintained and my employees are professional. Should you choose our company, you will see that we take pride in our work and that will be reflected in the appearance of your home.
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I like that.

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Much depends on what kind of service the last guy gave for the $25 If your up against that price w/ good service I simply ask" where is he know". Then I try to sell that my $35 price is onlt a couple of hundred more for the ENTIRE season and I'm in this business to stay. I point out how long many of my customers have been with me . My closer is to ask them if they would rather look for a new lawn guy every year or so or simply sign up with me and relax and let me worry about it.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We try to focus them quickly on some advantages we believe we bring to the table such as easy payment methods, professional advise on lawn diseases and pest and availability of irrigation repair.