1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

But the other guy......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Have any of you had, or have customers that allways talk about their previous landscaper? There's this one customer that i have, and thats all she ever talks about. I call her today and let her know that i won't be able to make it today because of the heavy rain. She goes on to tell me that the other guys across the street (they do about 3 houses across the street from the house i maintain) was out in the pouring rain mowing. I tell her that you will never see me mowing in heavy rain. How many of you guys have people like this? This had to of been the third time since the beginning of the season. I feel like telling her to go back with her other guy. There's obviously a reason why she doesn't have that guy anymore. (she fired them) So i guess im doing something right..
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It never comes up unless you won't do something or won't do something for nothing/dirt cheap....
  3. Petr51488

from NJ

Haha yea.. you better believe it..
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

all of my clients are very understanding about the rain i have a few that will call me up and leave a message saying if i don't get there today because of the rain that it's okay, just come when you get caught up. Never once had a client say that. but there is one yard that i have not yet cut in dry sunny conditions, it's always wet and raining.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I had one try to convince me to give her a free leaf clean-up because the last guy did it. Didn't happen.
  6. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly!!! But my other guy cut for $20... I'd like to say yeah well thats why that guy has no business and is standing in the unemployment line... or That's why you can't seem to get ahold of him anymore...

I've had a few people say this sort of thing...

Just nod and be polite... :rolleyes:

All Clear
  7. Petr51488

from NJ

Haha, i would love to say that to her, but shes nice.. and pays her bills on time..
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ah... I don't know... I have been at contracting now for so many years...
    Well more often than not, that is my sort of answer back...

As I've said many times, I'm not rude about things, but I don't mind being frank and honest with people either. I actually decided to start saying a lot of honest things I wanted to say... because frankly, it occurred to me one day that people need to hear those things sometimes, because otherwise they would never think of things that way.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

be polite but tell it like it is, old lawn guy is, either

(A) out of business, or,

(B) he dumped her because of her attitude.....

ill bet its B hahaah:)
  10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

exactly ,it not rocket science thats for sure