Buxus 'Green Velvet'

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimmyStew, May 18, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone share their experiences with this variety of boxwood?

I am in a zone 4 climate with good winters! We always get snow and its usually pretty cold. Needless to say, you don't see a lot of boxwoods in this neck of the woods.

I'm looking at a walkway to the front of a large, old house on main street. These would go right next to the city sidewalk on either side of the entrance walk. There are maples trees further down the street on either side that would provide a fair amount of shade. The lit. says this variety is both shade tolerant and cold hardy. I was wondering if anyone has planted these in similar situations that could report on their success.

Also, being right next to the city sidewalk and front walk, they would get a fair amount of snow load from shoveling.

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

its a good one to use and you should not run into any issues. winter gem is another variety to use, it has a lighter green color then green v. and a softer leaf texture. both would work in your situation.

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use those all the time, never had an issue

4. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

We use them here alot also in mostly residential applications, and they do well. I don't know how they would hold up near commercial walks that get salted alot. Anyone salt alot around them? If they hold up, I may use them in more commercial designs near walkways.

5. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

They don't hold up well with salt. I have to replace one this week next to a resi's front step. Only died on the side of the step and the other 3 a bit further away are as green as can be...no doubt the salt's the culprit.
    I do use a lot of buxus though and will continue to. They work in so many different apps especially with the differing varieties of shapes and sizes. Just let the HO know to keep the salt off it and it should do just fine.

6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

They're on the plan so I guess we'll see. It won't be the end of the world if I have to replace them in the spring. Besides, you have to learn somehow!

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You will be fine.