Buy a Dodge and plan on replacing the front end

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gravel Rat, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My brother had to take his 94 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 off the road because it needs the typical Dodge front end rebuild. Around here is something you need to do every 50,000kms (31,000 miles).

Now my brother needs to replace all the link bushings and pan hard bar bushing. Truck needs new ball joints and new brakes new calipers and brake rotors the unit bearings need replacing. All on a truck that has 200,000kms (124,000 miles). The cost of repairs had made my brother to park the truck he is looking at 2000 dollars worth of work. I say to him well you bought a Dodge the only thing that runs good is the engine the rest of the truck is junk.

A friend of my brother and I has a 95 Dodge 2500 it needs the same work as my brothers truck. That truck has seen 3 sets of unit bearings (front wheel).

The 94-97 era Dodges have something that causes the passenger side tire to wear funny (stock tires) my brothers truck does it a stone mason has a 94 Dodge it does it.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

A truck with 125k thats 14 years old and needs front end work. hhmmm SHOCKING! :rolleyes:

3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford front ends are the junk. I had a '04 F-250 w/ a plow and I replaced ball joints, tie rods, and axle seals 3 times in 16 months.....Ford :rolleyes:

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

wow GR...a 15 year old truck needing work done on it for normal wear...who woulda thunk it?

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I said you have to do it every 50,000kms (31,000 miles) that truck has seen the front end rebuilt twice already from the previous owner. Before my brother bought the truck it had front end work done to it. I did the front brakes 2 years ago they have about 20,000 miles and they are shot already.

Oh well my brother is driving his other truck right now it is a Ford.

6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I ahev heard problems with Dodge front ends, even some of the newer ones like up to 03 they were having ball joint failures on the half ton models. Heck, I passed a red Dodge pickup about 2 weeks ago on the highway, wheel all wrapped around under the truck, typical ball joint. I think it was either around a early 2000 model.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Even still thats 9 years old with likely over 100k on it. Its called maintenance.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

you hit the nail on the head..

Another typical thread pretty much saying Ford is god, I say BS..

9. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

I have a 01 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I have 135,00 + miles on the clock. I had to replace my entire front end (all but Axle) at 100,000. I was lucky I had a extended warranty on mine. Some of the Diesel Guys on my TDR Forum have replaced the 2nd gen 1994 to 2002) linkage with 3rd gen (2003 to now) linkage. -Jason.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with that.