Buy a mower on EBAY?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corey4671, Sep 25, 2006.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey folks. I've recently demoed an Everride Warrior and have come to the conclusion that this is the mower for me. Before I got a price from my local dealer, I emailed around my state to other dealers for quotes. My local dealer was the highest BY FAR. ON a whim, I searched for Everride on EBAY and came back with a dealer in MN who was over $2k LESS than my local dealer. Also, with this dealer from MN, I wouldn't have to pay any state sales tax on the mower. Folks, in TN, our state sales tax is 9.75%! My local dealer's price with the sales tax would be well in excess of $9k. The MN dealer is @ $6450 plus $550 for shipping. Would you ever buy a mower like this? I like my local dealer. He's a great guy. He just picked up the Everrides a couple years ago. I don't think he's really sold many of them. Just giveme your thoughts on this guys and girls! PLEASE

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely !!! BUT, be very sure who you are buying from - check his history thoroughly. :usflag:

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Its worth seriously considering. I myself have bought several used mowers and a western snowplow off ebay from private sellers. Good expiriences with each.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I bought my TTHP off ebay from a private seller. Great deal and went smooth.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

The stand-up thing to do - not the easiest - is to be up front with your dealer. Let him know the situtation - pull no punches.

Cuz when your fancy new machine breaks down and you high-tail it over to his front door for that prompt get-me-back-out-in-the-field-now service you've become so accustomed to - Lucy's gonna have some splainin' to do.

6. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I saw that everride as well on the E-Bay store site. You need to know that that is a left over 2005 model and not a 2006. There is only minor differences between the 05 and 06's. The 06 has a rubber side discharge chute and the 05's has a metal one (they are not interchangable). The middle front pulley on the deck is bigger on the 06. The smaller pulley on the 05 causes the belt to hit against itself but I have not had any problems with it yet (dont know if the 60" has that same problem). I just purchased a left over 05 model Warrior for $6,550 for the 54" deck which I needed over the 60". The 54" was almost impossible to find. I traveled 140 miles away to get it and also did not go with my local dealer because I could not afford another $1,000 plus dollars it would of cost. I did speak with my local dealer and told him about the price I could get it for and he told me that he did not blame me. I told him my concern about getting it serviced and he said he he would still be glad to service it. So just speak with your local dealer, tell him your plans like I did and see what he says. My only concern about getting it shipped is that you don't get to see it or test drive it for any minor problems first before you have already bought it. The guys on this site helped me out a lot on advise before I went and picked it up to make sure it was "prep" correctly. And by the way, I love my Warrior. Good Luck

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I think I may lean more towards a demo I have found in AL which has about 60ish hours on it...IF MY DEALER WILL NOT DISCOUNT HIS ANYMORE. I am going to see him this afternoon. The AL deal, I would only be required to pay the local sales tax which is around 2.5%.

8. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are thinking of dropping big money on ebay I would give the guy a call to make sure everything is good before you buy. If that sounds good I would go for it with that kind of savings.

9. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't have said it better myself!:drinkup:

10. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al