Buy a SCAG or Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kootoomootoo, Jun 13, 2004.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Bought a house now I need a mower. Its either a new 61in turf tiger with 27hp kohler for $8300 or an exmark with the same but havent price checked the exmark yet.

Which do you guys prefer

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally prefer exmark, i've got 2 and used several others as well. great customer service, excellent built machines. never used a scag so i can't comment either way on them.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever dealer is closer. A homeowner with a commercial mower will die before the mower will! If the dealer carries both brands, flip a coin. We have exmark, but I'm just trying to be unbiased about it.

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the components on the Exmark, then look at the Scag. If you compare the two you will see Scag have better components. To name a few, bigger Hydro pumps, better spindles, made with thicker gauge steal & one piece frame, has hydro cooler, easier to lift deck up, no twisted belt, lower center of gravity ( better on Hills), tank under seat and out of way & again lowers center of gravity. These are just a few of my head quick. Also, I demoed both and like the feel and cut better on the SCAG. But do your self a favor and DEMO and find a GOOD dealer.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Then demo both and you will notice the Exmark cuts much better!!!!!!!! Screw scag get the exmark.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is like the ford, chevy debate demo them both and get the one you like.I personally like scags thats all i run.The exmark is a good machine too i wont knock it.Make sure whatever you buy you have good customer support.

7. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

personally demoed both then bought a hustler!

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Prostreet,
    Thats just opinion you stated, and no facts. I have Demoed both and let me tell you for ME the SCAG cuts better and disperses clippings way better, but this in my Opinion. Like I said Demo and do your homework on both machine and again look at features and components.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a scag and it doent cut good at all. Thats all I can tell you. Our lazer hp cuts like a dream.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used plenty of 2002+ exmarks over the years but never a scag hence the question. This mower will be used daily in 2005. The general opinion from previous posts is that the exmarks seem to cut better.

Can anyone give me a recent price check on a 61in lazer?