Buy a Scag Turf Tiger or Cheetah?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imagelawnlandscape, Feb 15, 2012.

1. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

I was in your boat last year and I decided on the Turf Tiger with the 29hp Kawi.
    I decided on that mower for a couple reasons....
    Better Motor, I save half the fuel i was burning!
    Drive Shaft wont slip in think grass
    You can't cut grass as fast as the Cheetah will mow, I tried on the turf tiger as fast as it could go and it left streaks
    And the Turf Tiger has be test for many many many years with the results being nothing but excellent.

Yes the price difference is big but you save that diffence in fuel.

2. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

The Cheetah has a major design flaw in my thinking. You can't get an impact wrench on the 2 outer blades because of the massive gas tanks.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

use the impact on the bottom of the deck on the bolt and hold the bolt on top of the spindle with a wrench. you can also use one of those things that make it where you can use the impact wrench while holding it sideways. i can't think of what it's called at the moment. :laugh:

i like the cheetah. either mower is good. it's all in what you like.

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

If the deck is not in transport I'm sure the impact can fit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

If I remember correctly, that's what Jeff said when I questioned him on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Its easier to use the impact from the top. Don't even need a wrench for the bottom unless you hit something hard. Also you don't lose the nut rolling underneath the mower.

On the vride you need the deck down for the middle one. Carb is in the way.

Air rachet its called, also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i was thinking a drive yoke or something. it makes it where you can use the impact wrench at an angle. if the impact wrench can fit with the deck all the way down then that's easier. :D

the scags are different than the john deeres. on my mower you just remove and install the short bolt from the bottom of the deck. the scag bolts go all the way through the spindle with a nut on top holding it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

He owns a few Scag mowers. I'm sure he know they use a through bolt on the spindles.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wasn't talking to djagusch on that part. that was more for the OP of this thread just in case he didn't know.

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, i owned a tt for years, and spent around 6weeks on the cheetah. The tt is a much better unit hands down, just get a suspension seat.. i dont see the cheetah holding up as long as a tt...my 2xp cents anyway...
    Posted via Mobile Device