1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buy a T190 or hold out

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What would you do? The bobcat is '03 T190, 2700 hours, new tracks, new sprockets, and new front and rear idlers. The machine has AC and heat. I have seen pics of the machine and it does not look beat up. The guy wants to buy a T300 for his pool business. He is the only owner/operater, and claims to have maintained it well. He says all the bushings are tight, b/c he has greased. He wants $18.5k for it. I am little leary of the hours, but it looks like a nice machine.

At the same time it looks like I could get a Cat 247b or 257b off iron planet for 20k w/ less than 1000 hours w/ pilot controls. One thing I did not realize from ironplanet is that I have to pay sales tax.

Does having an enclosed cab make it hard to communicate or slow efficiency or is something that I would not regret?
  2. Lawnworks

from usa

3. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the cab aspect,I don't know what state your from but I'd think about weather in your area such as does it snow? lots of rain or dust? also the A/C and Heat is a nice bonus.Myself I would go with the cab but its up to you.

The Bobcat looks nice to me,but yeah I'd wait for something with less hours in the spring when the pre construction season deals come up.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

that seems like a lot of hours for the money.. who installed the tracks was it a dealer and if so do they have a warranty on them?
  5. Lawnworks

from usa

What would you say it is worth? or would you just stay away? I will ask about the tracks.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I would ever buy a machine again without a full cab.....tractor, skid, or excavator. I can work longer, remain cleaner, I feel I am more efficient, and I have energy left at the end of the day........I just don't like freezing/shivering or sweating if I don't have to. For the extra $5k for a cab, to me it is well spent money.
  7. Lawnworks

from usa

What is your feeling on this skid?
  8. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

I agree, as i get older it is nice to turn on the a/c or the heat and be clean at the end of the day. only one machine left with no cab and that will hopefully be gone this summer.

Lawnworks, IMO hours are a little high regardless of price. if you are going to turn this machine over in say three years or so it will probably have well over 4000 hrs on it and be worthless on trade or open market. Go for something with less hours.
  9. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Also IMO having a cab increases productivity, comfort is key. as far as communication, blow the horn.
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's probably a descent price for the machine, but I would try to find something with less hours- even if it meant spending a little more. There seems to be a lot of machines (all brands of skids/CTL's) that are around 1000 hours and in good shape. I'd try to find something more like that.

On the cab, I'll always have one from here on out. Like the other guys said, there's no sense in freezing and sweating if you don't have to. It's well worth the extra money.